– The Rams appear to be snakebit right now when it comes to the injury bug. While they entered the season relatively healthy with only safety James Butler on the initial injury report, they took some hits over the weekend against Arizona. Injuries in games are very common in the NFL. But the Rams have taken a couple more blows in practice this week, limiting their depth.
– After losing LB Josh Hull for the season to a torn ACL on Wednesday, the Rams had another knee injury during Thursday’s workout. DT Darell Scott was the recipient this time and it remains to be seen how severe it is. He wrapped it up and was able to walk off under his own power. Will update when any new information comes along.
– Defensive tackle Clifton Ryan also did not practice after falling ill last night. Ryan went to the hospital and stayed overnight after feeling quesy earlier in the night. He was undergoing a battery of tests on Thursday. Like Scott, I’ll post another update when more information becomes available.
– As for the rest of the injury list, things remained about the same. Cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) did not practice. Fellow corner Justin King was limited to individual work and did not participate in team drills.
– On the bright side, the Rams got a couple of players back in the workout. Running back Steven Jackson returned to practice as did receiver Laurent Robinson. Robinson was a bit limited but coach Steve Spagnuolo said he appeared to be pretty close to full strength.
– As far as the roster, the Rams made a couple of tweaks official. Linebacker Bryan Kehl was officially added to the roster after the team claimed him off waivers from the Giants. He’s wearing No. 50.
– Defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo was brought back to the practice squad after he was released earlier in the week to make room for TE Darcy Johnson. The Rams released LB Mortty Ivy to make room for Cudjo. Of course, depending on the severity of Scott’s knee injury and Ryan’s illness, Cudjo could well be back up with the varsity before the weekend.
– With the injury situation as it is, here’s how the Rams break down at positions where those ailments have hit the hardest…
LB: James Laurinaitis, Na’il Diggs, Larry Grant, David Vobora, Bryan Kehl. All five are healthy with Hull on injured reserve and Chris Chamberlain out six to eight weeks.
CB: Ron Bartell, Bradley Fletcher, Jerome Murphy. Those three are fine with King and Dockery nursing hamstring injuries. The Rams are hopeful King will be ready for Sunday.
TE: Daniel Fells, Billy Bajema, Fendi Onobun, Darcy Johnson. Those four are good to go with Michael Hoomanawanui out six to eight weeks with a high ankle sprain. Onobun isn’t likely to be active this week as Spagnuolo says he still has a ways to go to be ready.
– Clearly, some more roster tweaks could be in the offing depending on how guys come along for injury. I’ll try to update Ryan and Scott’s status this evening. Thanks for checking in.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »