- The Rams were back on the practice field Wednesday for the first time since playing the Raiders on Sunday. And again, the Rams were a bit short handed in the Wednesday workout as they have a variety of injured players on the sideline.
– One quick roster note, the Rams added QB Thaddeus Lewis to the practice squad and he was back on the field Wednesday. Lewis was released to make room for CB Marquis Johnson last week. Because of the injuries up and down the roster, the Rams need every spot possible so carrying a third signal caller didn’t make sense.
– As for the injuries, here’s the list of those who did not practice Wednesday: DT Clifton Ryan (migraines), DT Darell Scott (knee), CB Kevin Dockery (hamstring), TE Billy Bajema (knee), TE Daniel Fells (knee), S Craig Dahl (concussion), LB Chris Chamberlain (foot) and TE Michael Hoomanawanui (ankle). S Oshiomogho Atogwe (thigh), RB Steven Jackson (knee), WR Laurent Robinson (foot) and LT Rodger Saffold (back) were all limited in the practice.
– Out of that group, Bajema, Hoomanawanui, Chamberlain and Scott will definitely not play this week. Dockery, Fells, Ryan and Robinson will be monitored daily the rest of the week.
– Ryan had a second opinion on his migraines and was awaiting the results though indications coming back are positive that he should be cleared to go this week.
– Clearly, the Rams are working without much depth at a few positions right now, namely defensive tackle and tight end. With Fells, Bajema and Hoomanawanui on the sidelines, the Rams used Fendi Onobun and Darcy Johnson exclusively at the position throughout the workout. At tackle, that left the Rams with starters Gary Gibson and Fred Robbins as well as practice squadder Jermelle Cudjo.
– The plan for this week might have to be adjusted depending on how well some of those players come along. On the defensive line, the Rams could be OK because of coach Steve Spagnuolo’s penchant for using defensive ends at tackle in passing situations. If Ryan can’t go, though, it would stand to reason that Cudjo could be moved back up to the varsity.
– At tight end, Onobun is still a ways away according to Spagnuolo but it looks like he’ll get his opportunity unless Fells can go.
– Spagnuolo also indicated that WR Mardy Gilyard will indeed have an expanded role in the offense this week. Signs are pointing toward the same for fellow WR Brandon Gibson, though some of that will depend on Robinson’s availability this weekend.
– The Rams will get back to work Thursday afternoon. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »