- The Rams moved swiftly to add depth at running back because of the uncertain status of starter Steven Jackson, signing RB Chauncey Washington off the Jets’ practice squad Tuesday afternoon.
– Washington will provide depth and should fit in on special teams right away. The Rams will move WR Dominique Curry to the injured reserve list to create the roster spot for Washington.
– Washington started his NFL career with Jacksonville where he was a seventh-round pick in 2008. He played in six games for the Jaguars as a rookie with most of that work on special teams.
– He went back and forth between the active roster and practice squad in Dallas last season before the Jets poached him from the Cowboys’ practice squad late in the year.
– In his limited time in the NFL, Washington has four carries for 9 yards, a catch for 9 more yards and four special teams tackles.
– Fans of the HBO show “Hard Knocks” might recognize Washington from the praise he earned from coach Rex Ryan during the series. At one point, Ryan awarded Washington a game ball for his work in the preseason.
– For the Rams, Washington will likely work in with backups Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston until Jackson is able to return. Washington should be able to help on special teams right away and could get more reps should Toston’s shoulder injury hold him out.
– The Rams are also expected to make another roster move Tuesday, bringing back CB Kevin Dockery and releasing Marquis Johnson, who will presumably head back to the practice squad.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »