EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. –
– The Giants got it moving again with a 17-yard pass from Manning to Jacobs.
– On third down in Rams’ territory, James Hall dropped Manning for a 9-yard loss and forced a punt.
– The Rams took over at their 13 with a little life still and 12:32 to play.
– But the offense was unable to take advantage, going three and out and punting it back. New York starts again from its 29.
– Chris Long got a big sack on third down to get it back for the Rams with about 7 minutes to go.
– The Rams started again from their 20.
– They were unable to pick up a first down as Salas couldn’t handle a third down pass and they punted again.
– The Giants start again from their 25.
– Keeping it on the ground, New York was able to grind the clock and run it down but the Rams got a stop on fourth down and got it back for the offense with 2:08 to go.
– The Rams couldn’t get it going as a penalty and a sack killed any lingering hopes the Rams might have had.
– The Giants walked away with a 28-16 win.
– The Rams fall to 0-2 with the loss. The Giants improve to 1-1 with the victory.
– The Rams received to start the second half, beginning from their 31.
– Bradford hit Gibson for a gain of 18 on second down to the Giants’ 49.
– He followed two plays later with a 35-yard strike to Alexander.
– Two plays netted 7 yards to make it third-and-3 at the Giants’ 9.
– Alexander had his man beat on a slant but Bradford’s pass was knocked down and the Rams again settled for a field goal from Brown. This time from 27 yards out to make it 21-9 Giants with 11:49 to go in the third quarter.
– The Giants started again from their 19.
– Manning converted a third-and-6 by hitting Victor Cruz for a gain of 10 to the New York 33.
– A 15-yard facemask penalty and a 16-yard pass interference call on Justin King gave the Giants a first down at the Rams’ 25.
– DE Robert Quinn got his first career sack on second down to set up a third and 18.
– But the Giants converted as Manning dropped it off to Bradshaw for a gain of 24.
– On the next play, Jacobs punched it in from 9 yards out to make it 28-9 Giants with 6:19 to go in the third quarter.
– The Rams started from their 28 and got some key third down conversions to move into New York territory as Bradford hit Salas for 17 and Sims-Walker for 15 to the Giants’ 40.
– The Rams finally broke through with a touchdown as Alexander climbed the ladder for a 19-yard touchdown to trim the Giants lead to 28-16. That’s where we stand at the end of the third quarter.
– Another quick three and out for the Rams defense, to give it back to the offense at the 24.
– The Rams went to work quickly as Bradford hit Sims-Walker for a gain of 33 yards and Williams picked up 9 to the Giants’ 34.
– Bradford hit Gibson for a gain of 7 and a first down.
– Two plays later, disaster struck on third-and-8 as Bradford threw to Williams but it was a backward lateral and Giants LB Michael Boley recovered it and returned it 65 yards for a touchdown. An absolute killer for the Rams to make it 14-6 Giants with 10:58 to go in first half.
– Rams have no answer, go three and out again.
– The Giants take over at their 42.
– The defense again responded with another three and out. That’s three in a row for the defense.
– The offense got a quick first down on an 8-yard strike to Sims-Walker followed by a 3-yard run by Williams
– That’s all the Rams could muster though and they punted it back to the Giants who took over at their 35.
– After a 7-yard run by Jacobs, Fred Robbins picked up a sack to set up third-and-12 from the 33.
– The defense again came up with another three and out highlighted by a Fred Robbins sack.
– Salas stepped up with a nifty punt return to the Rams’ 37 combined with a 15-yard penalty to give the Rams a first down at the Giants’ 48.
– A 7-yard gain by Norwood on second down was almost wiped out by a false start from Saffold to make it third-and-8 at the 46.
– The Rams couldn’t convert as Bradford was hit while trying to throw to make it fourth and 8.
– The Giants get it back at their 14.
– With the help of a penalty and a slew of short passes, the Giants moved it down the field. On first down from the 22, Manning hit Domenik Hixon for a touchdown to make it 21-6 Giants with 21 seconds to go in the first half.
– At the half, New York leads 21-6.
– Giants won the toss and elected to receive.
– Josh Brown’s kickoff was a touchback and the Giants started at their 20.
– The Giants began marching, killing the Rams with cutback runs from RB Ahmad Bradshaw. He picked up 43 yards on four carries to get to the Rams’ 32.
– On first down there, Manning looked deep for Mario Manningham but S Quintin Mikell swooped in and made his first interception as a Ram.
– The Rams take over their first possession at their 14.
– After a 5-yard loss on a trick play, the Rams stuck with their no huddle principles from last week and Bradford went to work.
– Bradford hit Mike Sims-Walker for a gain of 23 yards on second down.
– Three plays later, Bradford hit Alexander down the left sideline. He hauled it in falling backwards, rolled over and rumbled to the Giants’ 1 for a gain of 68 yards.
– For the second week in a row, though, the red zone and particularly the 1-yard line was not the Rams’ friend. Two incompletions and a 1-yard loss on a run by Williams left the Rams with just a field goal and a 3-0 lead.
– The Rams defense followed up with a quick three and out, getting it back but rookie Greg Salas couldn’t handle the punt and the Giants recovered at the Rams’ 38.
– Three plays netted 6 yards and the Giants went for it on fourth-and-4.
– Manning lofted a pass deep down the right sideline for Nicks, who hauled it in one handed out of bounds. But a flag of Bradley Fletcher gave the Giants a first down at the Rams’ 9.
– Two plays later, Manning hit Nicks for a 3-yard touchdown and a 7-3 Giants lead with 5:47 to go in the quarter.
– The Rams take over at their 26 after rookie Quinn Porter’s return. With Jackson unavailable, that’s a way to preserve Jerious Norwood to have him fresh to complement Williams.
– The offense came back out in the spread with the no huddle working and took it right to the Giants.
– Bradford hit Brandon Gibson for 10, followed by a 17-yard strike to Gibson and three plays later a 26-yard strike to Lance Kendricks.
– Williams picked up 8 more yards to five the Rams a second-and-2 at the 7.
– Bradford threw incomplete on second down and then appeared to hit Salas for a gain of 3 and a first down.
– The Giants challenged the play and won to force the Rams into yet another field goal.
– Brown converted to make it 7-6 Giants but it was another missed opportunity.
– The Giants lead 7-6 with 3:21 to go.
– The defense got another three and out to get it back to the Rams at their 35.
– But the Rams offense couldn’t get anything going and had its first three and out as Bradford’s 8-yard completion to Kendricks on third down left the Rams 1 yard short.
– At the end of the first quarter, the Giants have it at their 24.
– Greetings from MetLife Stadium where the Rams and Giants are getting ready for tonight’s Monday Night Football showdown. Both teams are plagued by injuries and using this time to test out those players right now.
– RB Steven Jackson will not be available tonight. He did some running down on the field with Rams brass looking on and had a little hitch in his giddyup.
– Playing without Jackson was not a surprise as he didn’t practice all week. Cadillac Williams will go in his place.
– Jackson is joined as injured inactives by WR Danny Amendola and DE C.J. Ah You. Other inactives include WR Austin Pettis, TE Stephen Spach, LB Jabara Williams and S Jermale Hines.
– Look for the season debuts of WR Danario Alexander and DE Robert Quinn tonight. Both figure to be quite involved, also.
– One area the Giants seem to be a bit susceptible is on the outside, that could leave some openings for Alexander to make an impact.
– With Spach down, it means TE Michael Hoomanawanui will make his debut for the season tonight. He battled a calf injury but is back and could play a serious role this evening.
– CB Tim Atchison will also make his NFL debut as he was signed earlier this week and is active tonight.
– Giants WR Hakeem Nicks and DE Justin Tuck are both active and playing tonight.
– Inactives for the Giants: DE Osi Umenyiora, CB Prince Amukamara, TE Travis Beckum, WR Jernel Jernigan, RB Da’Rel Scott, G Mitch Petrus and T James Brewer.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 5 Comments »