– Feeley hit Lloyd over the middle but Lloyd didn’t hang on. He had nothing but green in front of him and had the first down at minimum. But he dropped it and the Saints get it back at their 32.
– The Saints moved quickly into Rams territory.
– They punched it in on a 3-yard run by Thomas to cut it to 24-14.
– The Rams had it moving on offense but killed themselves with penalties and punted it back.
– New Orleans takes over at its 33.
– The defense responded with a huge three and out. Rams get it back with 6:12 to go.
– On third-and-12 from the 44, Brees hit Colston for a gain of 25 to the 19.
– Two plays later, the pair hooked up again to the Rams’ 3.
– Thomas punched it in from 3 yards out to make it 24-14 Rams with 10 minutes to play.
– After a three and out from the Rams defense, Feeley hit Lloyd for 16 yards on third-and-5.
– Jackson gained 6 on two plays to bring up another third down, this time third-and-4 at the Saints’ 48.
– Jackson was stopped after 1 yard and the Rams punted it back.
– Saints take over at their 19 with 3:01 to play.
– On the first play, Darian Stewart stepped in front of a Brees pass and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown. The extra point gave the Rams a 31-14 lead with 2:51 to play.
– Saints start again from their 20.
– Brees’ first pass fell incomplete after Harris nearly intercepted him.
– Brees hit a couple of completions to get to the 35 where it’s second and 9 at the 2 minute warning.
– Long added his third sack of the day and the Saints had a fourth down.
– Moore caught an 11-yard pass for a first down to the Saints 46.
– Brees hit Moore again for another 12 yards to the Rams’ 35.
– Fred Robbins picked up a sack to bring up third down.
– Brees hit Sproles for a gain of 21 yards to the Rams 8 with 17 seconds left.
– Brees missed Graham on first down.
– Colston couldn’t hang on for a touchdown on second down.
– Brees hit Moore for a cosmetic touchdown from 8 yards out to make it 31-21.
– That’ll do it. The Rams get their first win of the season in stunning and dominant fashion, improving to 1-6 on the season.
– The Saints receive to start the second half. Keep an eye on how they attack, possibly looking to open it up. Rams should be able to generate more pass rush with a lead.
– New Orleans began at its 15 and picked up a first down with a couple of completions to the 27.
– Kehl broke through to drop Thomas for a loss of 1 on first down.
– Long followed with his second sack of the game to push New Orleans back 8 more yards to bring up third-and-24.
– A 14-yard completion to Colston forced the Saints to punt again.
– The Rams continued to roll behind Jackson, who broke off a run of 4 and Gibson picked up 11 to the Rams’ 42.
– On fourth-and-2 at the Saints’ 35, Jackson broke off a big gain down the left side for 32 yards to the Saints’ 3.
– Two plays later, Jackson cruised in from 3 yards out for a touchdown.
– The Rams lead it 24-0 with 6 minutes left in the third.
– The Saints got a quick first down on a 6-yard compltion to Moore but the Rams bowed up and got a stop again.
– This time, it was Gordy coming up in run support on third and 1. With help from Laurinaitis, Ivory got dropped for a 1 yard loss and the Saints had to punt again.
– The Rams start again from their 6.
– On third-and-6, Feeley was sacked by Saints S Malcolm Jenkins. LB Jonathan Vilma recovered in end zone for a touchdown to shift momentum and make it 24-7 Rams with 1:21 to go in the third quarter.
– At the end of three, the Rams lead it 24-7 with a third and 6 at their 24.
– The Rams got off the field again but a 62-yard punt forced the Rams to start again at their 12.
– The offense began piecing together its best drive of the day after a 9-yard sack to start.
– Jackson took a second down handoff and burst for 9 yards and Feeley hit Gibson for 11 and a first down.
– A 15-yard run by Jackson got it into New Orleans territory at the 48.
– Another sack lost 7 but Jackson picked up 7, Feeley hit Salas for 8 to set up a fourth and 2.
– Feeley hit Salas again, this time out in the flat. He hauled it in, made a defender miss, kept his balance and burst 33 yards to the Saints 7.
– New Orleans challenged that Salas stepped out well before getting to the 7. The challenge was upheld and the play overturned. Rams have a first down at New Orleans’ 23.
– An incompletion and a 3-yard run by Jackson set up third-and-7 at the 20.
– Feeley had Salas come clean over the middle of the field but his pass was deflected and fell incomplete. Salas cruises into end zone if it’s completed.
– Brown hits from 38 yards out for a 3-0 Rams lead with 8:32 to go in the half.
– New Orleans starts again from its 23.
– The Saints began marching methodically with completions for 7 yards to Graham and Thomas and a 13-yard strike to Collins.
– On third-and-4 at the Rams’ 43, Quinn burst inside past Jermon Bushrod for a 10-yard sack to kill the drive.
– Rams take over with a first down from their 8.
– The Rams picked up a first down but went backwards as penalties cost them yards. They punted from their 20 and Jones boomed a 54-yard punt with a good angle to force the Saints to start from their 25.
– Brees hit Moore for 14 to the 39.
– But the Rams defense again showed some resiliency.
– Craig Dahl nearly got an interception on first down. Long broke through for a sack and a 9 yard loss and deflected a pass on third to force a punt.
– On fourth down, Quinn made his presence known again, busting through from the right side for a blocked punt. The ball spun out of bounds at the New Orleans’ 15.
– Feeley hit Salas for a gain of 12 to the 3 and Jackson punched it in from the right side to give the Rams a 10-0 lead.
– New Orleans started again from its own territory as Brees forced it deep down the right sideline. Gordy intercepted it and the Rams got it back at the Saints’ 38.
– On third down, Feeley hit Gibson for a gain of 14 to the Saints’ 24.
– A holding penalty on the Saints gave the Rams another first down at the 19.
– Feeley hit Lloyd for 8 more to the Saints’ 11.
– A 6-yard run by Feeley gave the Rams a first down and a penalty for hands to the face made it first and goal at the 3.
– The Rams moved back to the 8 on a false start penalty before Feeley hit Lloyd in the left corner of the end zone for a touchdown and a 17-0 Rams lead with 17 seconds to go in the half.
– At the half, the Rams lead it 17-0.
– With most of the world champion St. Louis Cardinals in the house, the Rams won the toss and elected to receive. Pitcher Chris Carpenter served as a coin toss captain.
– The Rams started from their 20.
– After an incompletion on first down, Feeley hit Jackson for a gain of 15 to the 35.
– Jackson picked up 11 on two carries to move the chains to the 46.
– Feeley took a shot deep for Lloyd twice in a row but didn’t quite connect as the first one was underthrown a bit and the second was overthrown a bit.
– A third down pass for Gibson fell incomplete and the Rams had to punt.
– The Saints got their first possession at their 15 and picked up first downs on completions to Lance Moore and Jimmy Graham.
– But that drive died at the New Orleans’ 43 as Al Harris broke up a third down pass attempt.
– The Rams have it back at their 20.
– Dominique Curry makes his Rams offensive debut at WR on this drive.
– Feeley was dropped for a 9-yard sack on first down by Will Smith.
– Jackson lost 4 yards to make it third and 23 on their 7.
– In order to protect the ball, the Rams handed to Jackson for a 9-yard gain to the 16 before punting it away.
– Brees and Co. take over at their 42.
– Brees hit Sproles for a 19-yard gain and first down to the Rams’ 36.
– But the Rams got a sack from James Laurinaitis for a loss of 8 and Chris Chamberlain dropped Pierre Thomas for a loss of 4.
– A 17-yard completion to Moore set up a 49-yard field goal attempt by John Kasay. He left it wide left and the Rams take over at their 39.
– The Rams managed a lone first down as Lloyd caught a 6 yard pass to convert a third-and-2.
– But that was all for the possession as the Rams punted it away again.
– New Orleans takes over at its 16.
– The Saints got a quick first down but Chamberlain dropped Collins for a loss of 5 and Robert Quinn came hustling across the field to drop Sproles after just 2.
– At the end of the first quarter, the game is tied at 0 and the Saints have a third-and-13 at their 24.
– Greetings from the Edward Jones Dome where the Rams and Saints are preparing to get it going with a noon kickoff.
– Today is the Green Game, as we encourage people to start making better decisions on the environment.
– It’s also throwback day as the Rams will be sporting the old blue and yellow based on our votes.
– As expected, QB Sam Bradford is inactive as he continues to nurse a high ankle sprain. A.J. Feeley starts in his place.
– Other Rams inactives: RT Jason Smith, DT Darell Scott, WR Danario Alexander, LB Brady Poppinga, CB Justin King, RB Jerious Norwood.
– With Smith out, Adam Goldberg gets the start at right tackle. Don’t be shocked if recent addition Mark LeVoir gets some playing time as well.
– As Alexander sits, Brandon Gibson will be back in the lineup.
– Bryan Kehl will start for Poppinga. Also keep an eye for Ben Leber back in the mix on the weak side.
– Josh Gordy goes for King.
– The Rams activated CB Marquis Johnson on Saturday and placed Brian Jackson on injured reserve.
– Johnson is up this week and likely to play a lot in the nickel.
– For the Saints, the inactives are RB Mark Ingram, CB Johnny Patrick, LB Will Herring, T Zach Strief, TE David Thomas, WR Adrian Arrington and DE Turk McBride.
– The Saints have released TE Tory Humphrey and activated RB Chris Ivory, who will serve as the team’s third back today.
– Stay tuned for updates throughout the game today.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »