- The Rams made it official with RT Jason Smith on Friday, placing him on injured reserve and ending his season with lingering concussion symptoms.
– Smith suffered the injury against Dallas on Oct. 23 and has been unable to get back up to speed since. It’s his second serious, season ending concussion in three years.
“We are going to make sure that we do everything possible to do the right thing, get him with the right people,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “I think we’ve done that to this point but it just seemed like the right thing to do right now.”
– The loss of Smith had been expected after he was unable to pass exertion tests in recent weeks.
– In his place, the Rams have signed OL Bryan Mattison from Baltimore’s practice squad.
– Mattison is the son of current Michigan DC Greg Mattison. He played collegiately at Iowa and came into the league as a DE before moving to the O line in 2009.
– As for this week’s offensive line arrangement, Spagnuolo continues not to tip his hand though he’s acknowledged there will probably be some moving pieces.
– On the injury front:
– DT Justin Bannan (shoulder) will almost certainly be out this week.
– At receiver, the Rams have some gametime decisions coming with Danario Alexander (hamstring) and Austin Pettis (knee).
– Alexander didn’t do much on Friday and it looks like it will be tough to get him to the game.
– Pettis is feeling better than Alexander and did more and is more likely to be available.
– Spagnuolo said both would be evaluated up to gametime.
– It’s possible Nick Miller will be involved as a wideout and almost certain he’ll handle some return duties.
– MLB James Laurinaitis got most of the work Friday but he seems set to go on Sunday.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »