– With one day of extra time to review the film, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo just completed his after game press conference.
– Let’s hit injuries first and then a few quick thoughts of his from the game:
– CB Justin King wil have shoulder surgery and his season will come to an end with one game to play. King had not played in the past two weeks. Chalk up another injury at cornerback for a team that’s been destroyed at that spot this year.
– QBs Sam Bradford and A.J. Feeley will be day to day this week as they continue to recover from ankle and thumb injuries, respectively. Spagnuolo said he has no designs one way or another on if they’ll be able to go this week.
– DE Chris Long and CB Josh Gordy, ankle and oblique, did not have any major setbacks against the Steelers and should be able to fight through to play this week even if they are again limited in practice.
– DT Fred Robbins is ill but expected to be OK for Wednesday’s practice.
– Because of the holiday and following two short weeks of work, Spagnuolo gave the players a bit more time to recover. They had Sunday off as well as Monday and Tuesday and will return to practice Wednesday.
– As for the game, Spagnuolo expressed disappointment in the long, 52-yard run by Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall.
– Spagnuolo said that run was a cutback run that came when the Rams brought pressure from the nickel back. Mendenhall happened to cut back to where the pressure came from and there was nobody there. Still, SPagnuolo said, a play like that can be stopped for a 6 or 7 yard gain and doesn’t need to be as much of a big play.
– One thing Spagnuolo preached to his team was the importance of getting turnovers against the Steelers. One interception wasn’t good enough, according to the coach.
– On offense, Spagnuolo saw many of the same issues that have plagued the Rams all season including penalties, missed throws, a few protection issues, etc.
– On the brighter side, Spagnuolo acknowledged good efforts from CBs Josh Gordy and especially Rod Hood. That duo hasn’t played a ton this year but did hold up well. Hood was particularly tough in coverage and helping against the run.
– As for potential roster moves in the coming days, the Rams will likely make at least one. They won’t have WR Austin Pettis or King available which means they have 51 available players right now. Where that move comes from, be it practice squad or waiver wire is yet to be determined.
– Chat tomorrow, back with updates this week on Wednesday.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »