On Now
Coming Up
Hot Links:

St. Louis Rams – Blog

Statement from Steve Spagnuolo

Posted by nickwagoner on January 3, 2012 – 11:16 PM

- Ever the class act, Steve Spagnuolo released a statement early Tuesday evening thanking everyone for their support for the past three years. Below is that statement:

“I want to first thank every player and coach for their work ethic, character and loyalty throughout our three years together. I know each one of us firmly believes a solid foundation has been built and although not all of us will be here to experience it, this foundation will propel the team to great success in the near future.

“I also want to thank Chip Rosenbloom, Lucia Rodriguez and Stan Kroenke for their decision to bring me here three years ago. I truly appreciate the opportunity they gave me.

“I want to pass along deep gratitude toward every Rams employee for their ‘behind the scenes efforts and loyalty’ and for embracing Maria and I throughout our time here.

“I want to thank every Rams fan for their passionate support. I apologize for not bringing enough success for them to enjoy this past season. You deserve more!

“It has been a privilege and an honor to represent this franchise as its head coach and I wish nothing but success for the organization going forward. I will always pull for the Rams. Maria and I feel blessed to have been a part of this city and we’ll continue to have caring hearts for the people of St. Louis. God Bless.”

- Spagnuolo had the admiration of most at the Russell Training Center and as owner Stan Kroenke said in his statement Monday, he will be supported in everything he does in the future. Best of luck to him.

Posted in From the Sidelines | 26 Comments »

26 Responses to “Statement from Steve Spagnuolo”

1. By Greg West on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Steve Spagnuolo is a class act all the way and a man of true character! Steve, you had a hard row to hoe and I appreciate your efforts these last few years. Best wishes to you in wherever you go and whatever you do!

2. By Julie on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Spags is just a stand up guy! I wish him the best in the future :)

3. By Johnnie Adams on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I think that you deserve to be back on the Rams team. But I guess God seen different on your behalf. Nice job coach the Rams deserves to be with you.

4. By Bill Lee on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Good Luck “Spags” – only wish you would of had more “success” in St.L. The team DID play more “inspired brand” of football under you, and for that, I am grateful! Original PSL owner, and constant season ticket holder, in spite of moving to Louisville in 1996.

5. By Maureen on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Class Act

6. By Marc on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Probably the most likeable guy to ever get fired in he NFL. No matter how bad it seemed, he was the strong leader who always saw the positives. If the Rams take nothing else from the last three years, I hope they can at least take that. He didn’t turn a loser into a winner, but he did turn a loser into a believer, and for that, I thank you Spags!

7. By David on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I was disappointed that spags wasn’t able to have success in RAM COUNTRY but I wish he could have stayed as defensive coordinator wish him and his wife all the best in Philly

8. By Ryan Barnes on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I for one will miss you Spags. I wish you could have done more but you are one of my favorite Rams coaches since I have became a fan oh so long ago. My best wishes to you and your family in the future. In my opinion you have built a GREAT foundation for the next coach. Thank you for everything you have done for the Rams.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Barnes

9. By Jim P on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Coach, Thanks for the job you did. Things don’t always show as timely as we wish. As you know a foundation is the most important. The Rams have had ups and downs. The way to get back on a steady course is the foundation.

I have been a fan since 1952. good, bad or ugly!

10. By dan4rams on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Steve, you are in a Class that won’t be forgotten anytime soon. Thanks.

11. By Mike DeFriend on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Spags! You are a class act and I don’t blame you for this season at all. The injury bug was rampant! Wish you had another year to prove Kroenke wrong!

Good luck in your future endeavors!

12. By Kevin on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Coach Spags, I’m sorry to see you go. Best of luck to you!

13. By Ruben on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Steve,

You are a class act and I am sorry to see you leave. Injuries are part of the game, however, it should not sway management to fire a head coach. Good luck and God bless you. The Rams should come back home to Los Angeles, and if not, maybe you can head up a new franchise here in Los Angeles, Ca. You are one heck of a coach.

14. By wvramfan on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Thank’s for all you did and come back to coach are d and help with what you started

15. By Darryl on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I think Steve Spagnuolo is simply in a class by himself. I don’t entirely blame Mr. Spagnuolo for our season. I do feel the Rams do need to move forward with a new G.M and head coach, but I think coach Spagnoulo should be condidered as Defense coach. Nobody feels worse about this past season than the players and coaches.

16. By Bob W. on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

To Coach Spagnuolo,
    I have seen a change in the way the Rams play. That should be attributed to you. That “never say die” mentality. You are a very classy and selfless person and you are clearly…all about character and leadership. You have certainly instilled that in the Rams since you arrived. I too believe that one more season would have made a huge difference, given the injuries and lack of off season preparation time. You deserved that one more year for your hard work and loyalty to this franshise. I do hate to see you go and wish only the best for you and yours!

17. By George Barragamo on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Gracias Spanolo pero lamentablemente esto es un juego competitivo y si no se gana no hay aceptación.
    Feliz 2012

18. By anthony on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

thanks for trying to turn the around i thought you should not have been fired but good luck in your future en devours.

19. By ASSANTE on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

BEST OF LUCK SPAG,YOU ARE A CLASS ACT.SORRY TO SEE YOU
    GO BUT OUR LOSS IS SOMEBODY ELSES GAIN.YOU WILL BE MISSED.

20. By Rick Sikes on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I’M STILL A BELIEVER IN THE ST. LOUIS RAMS. THANK YOU SPAGS, FOR BEING PART OF THE “DREAM”, AND NEVER THE END OF IT. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS, THE RAMS! FELLOW “GOATHEADS” UNITE FOR THE NEXT BIG DEAL!

21. By Matt on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

People should really take a lesson from this man. You are a good man and a coach with a lot of potential. You are also a great defensive mind. I felt that the one thing I could look positively from this year was our defense. I hope that your coaching career will only get better. Sad that you and the rams could not go separate ways on a lighter note but I am sure you will be able to bounce back from this. You gave us hope for a brighter future for the rams. A hope that I and my ram brothers when we won the superbowl. Thanks for your hard work

22. By Karen on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

What a phenomenal guy with quality character. You set an incredible example for the players and fans and you will be sorely missed.

23. By bob boyle on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

COACH thank you for making us believe. YOU deserved another year. You have laid the foundation for a bright RAM future. If you go to PHILLY they will win there elusive super bowl because of your talent. IT WAS A PRIVALEDGE TO SEE YOU AT THE DOME.

24. By Katrina on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

WOW, man of God. Just read your statement.. Know that God has something bigger and brighter for you. You did not fail.. It was not a successful season in numbers, but there is a strong foundation you & Billy have built. The worst is over and the best is yet to come.. Much success will come in your next chapter in life. God Bless

25. By AnthonyF on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Great defensive coordinator, some guys just can’t make the adjustment to Head Coach well(ask Wade Phillips). But best of luck to Steve in the future, maybe he can find another team in need of a DC and lead them to a SB again. As long as he doesnt get in the way of the Rams and Jeff Fisher!

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Jan 5, 2012: Steve Spagnuolo Statement: Former St. Louis Rams Coach Believes ‘A Solid Foundation Has Been Built’ | St Louis MO DIRECTV Service