St. Louis Rams – Blog

Rams Sign Veteran LB Haggan, OT Richardson

Posted by nickwagoner on May 15, 2012 – 9:00 PM

- In the search for more depth at outside linebacker and on the offensive line, the Rams added a pair of veterans on Tuesday afternoon. Linebacker Mario Haggan, who was most recently with Denver, and offensive tackle Barry Richardson, who spent his first four seasons with Kansas City, inked deals with the Rams soon after the team completed its first OTA Tuesday morning.

- Haggan is a nine-year veteran who spent his first five seasons in Buffalo before spending the last four with the Broncos. For the Bills, Haggan was mostly a special teams player before he moved to Denver as a free agent.

- In 2009, Haggan became a starter at strongside linebacker, posting 63 tackles and three forced fumbles. The following year he had his best season, coming up with 87 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles.

- Haggan figures to get a look on the strong side where Josh Hull is currently taking the reps with the top unit. Listed at 6’3, 274 pounds, the 32-year old Haggan provides an imposing presence on the strong side. He figures into the mix to provide depth and potentially compete for a starting spot on the strong side for the Rams.

- Richardson was originally a sixth round pick by Kansas City in 2008. He started just one game in his first two years before becoming a full time starter on the right side in 2010. Over the past two seasons, Richardson started every game at right tackle for the Chiefs.

- Listed at 6’6, 319 pounds, Richardson figures to provide depth for the Rams at tackle and could potentially get an opportunity to work at guard. Jason Smith is the starter right now at right tackle with Rodger Saffold on the left side. Quinn Ojinnaka is the only other veteran at tackle on the roster.

- Richardson visited the Rams on a free agent trip earlier in the offseason.

- Haggan and Richardson are expected to join the team for OTA No. 2 tomorrow.

Posted in From the Sidelines | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Rams Sign Veteran LB Haggan, OT Richardson”

1. By ed on May 16, 2012 | Reply

two very solid pick ups,,,, i like it a lot

2. By ramprint on May 16, 2012 | Reply

This is the kind of signings I expect and I do like the signings. With a new staff from top to bottom. I like what Snead and Fisher have done. We have some very solid young talent on this team from the last coaching staff and with this years draft and FA signings I’m up for the following. Let’s see what this coaching staff can do with the talent we now have. Let’s see what these players will do with a whole conditioning segment and OTA’S and preseason together. I believe we have the talent to win games now and by the last quarter of the regular season. We as fans should have a real feel of what we have to look forward to. GO RAMS!

3. By Armando on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Great signings. One more veteran LB and one more tackle and we are set.Snead and Fisher surely knows footbal.

4. By NewOrleansRams on May 17, 2012 | Reply

I agree with the aforementioned comments. I don’t know what it is, but something’s in the air & it feels good! The leadership of Snead, Fisher & the rest of the staff appears to be positive.

5. By Stevens on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Ramprint: “This is the kind of signings I expect and I do like the signings.”

Why do you like these signings?

6. By ramprint on May 17, 2012 | Reply

I like the signings because there just isn’t a ton of talent out there. The Salary Cap is going to be topped off by the time we sign everyone. These guys are not a big drop off from what we currently have in place as starters. When you have some solid talent, but not great talent. Most times through competition. Someone will become great.

7. By Stevens on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Ramprint: Interesting. Don’t know much about these guys, but I will take your word for it they provide quality depth. / Here’s an idea: Matt Daniels is great at run support, largely untried at pass coverage. He is not that much smaller than Chamberlin and some other LBs. Maybe give him a shot at kind of an LB/SS hybrid position. The DL looks like they will be strong against the run, and Daniels would add another solid coverage guy against the pass + exceptional run support for a SS. Now they are trying to convert him to FS, but this might fit him better. And most yards are gained through the air, where he should be better than any LB. Would also be a super-quick blitzer.

8. By ramprint on May 22, 2012 | Reply

The nice thing about Coach Williams – Fisher Defense is that guys can and will be asked to play in different positions. I believe your suggestion on Daniels is spot on. They should be very solid about stopping the run this year. I expect them to be solid on defense this year.

9. By Stevens on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Ramprint: “I believe your suggestion on Daniels is spot on.” Encouraging enough that I decided to submit it to Nick Waggoner for his Mailbag. Who knows, maybe he will think it is a good idea as well, and drop the suggestion to one of the coaches. How cool would it be to help beat those Niners. I have been watching the Rams a long time, and this group — Demoff, Snead, Fisher — seem like the kind of dedicated football guys the team has not had since Carroll Rosenbloom passed away, leaving the team to Georgia. Only took 30 years, but we are back to being a team first, and a business second. I see no reason this team cannot compete for the NFC title, and will for the rest of the decade at the rate they are going.

10. By ramprint on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Stevens I will look forward to Nicks Mailbag today as I do every week. I to have been a Rams fan since the days of the playing at the LA Collasium. I was a season ticket holder in Anaheim. Noe I live in Oregon and will go see them play the Seahawks on the last week of the season. I hope your right about the NFC title but not this year. My hope is that we finish 8-8, but I expect that we will finish somewhere around 5-11 or 4-12. This very young team will have moments of greatness and moments of stupid. Young talent – combinded with new systems on both ends of the ball generally mean up and down season. That said. I believe that the ownership on down is building a foundation for future greatness. GO RAMS!

11. By Stevens on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Cool–we might have been neighbors for a while. I grew up a Rams fan in MA, but went to Pomona College in Claremont, while they were still in L.A. Here is the basis for my optimism: I think Bradford will blossom this year into one of the 2-3 best QBs in the league. I do not believe he took a step backward last year. Rather, the coaching took 5 steps backward from Shurmur to McDaniel, and Sam will suddenly seem to take about 10 steps forward this year, with a much better coaching group, all the way down to the OL coach. Also, Fisher is incredibly shrewd: he seems to have recognized that a winning attitude is crucial, and was bold enough to clear away all deadwood that would have held the spirit of the team back to its losing ways. (I think there is—understandably—now more residue of that in the fans than the team.) And he has concentrated on some of the little known, though crucial, areas like unit coaches, using his league knowledge and contacts to bring in a great group across the board. That will speed the learning process considerably. They also got incredibly lucky, with Snead bringing hidden gems like Quick who he had been scouting as part of the Falcons. Brockers: I had been DREAMING they would trade down for an extra 2nd pick and snatch him instead of Blackmon…Swear it is true—then it happened! Givens in the 4th will turn out to be the steal of the draft, if Jenkins wasn’t in the 2nd. Best draft / off-season I have ever seen—maybe for any team. If anyone can make the most of this talent, it is this new regime. Thank goodness this was not a lockout season—then all bets would be off, and I would agree with you: too much, too soon to be contenders. But Snead seems to sense the same thing I do. He said recently something like, “Give this team a few early victories and there may be no stopping them.” My exact sense. It will be the most important opening day (in Detroit) in a long time. If they open with 2-0 there will be no catching these guys. Well, it will be fun to see how it plays out. By your Seattle game I believe it will be a bye-week in the playoffs…we’ll see. I will look for you tonight in Nick’s Mailbag.