- The Rams and WR Brian Quick finalized a four-year contract on Wednesday afternoon as Quick put pen to paper Wednesday afternoon.
- Quick’s signing brings the total number of drafted rookies to sign to eight. That leaves just cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson unsigned.
- Quick, of course, was the first pick of the second round, No. 33 overall out of Appalachian State in April’s NFL Draft.
- The expectations are high for Quick, who will almost certainly immediately assume one of the starting jobs on the outside. At 6”3, Quick provides a big, fast, physical target for QB Sam Bradford. During OTAs and minicamps, Quick made a strong impression on everyone, including coach Jeff Fisher.
“The athletic ability is there,” Fisher said. “The one-on-one stuff is all there. When he knows exactly what to do, he does it right. Two weeks ago, there was a lot of information coming in there. He was a little hesitant. He wasn’t hesitant today. He was very explosive, making plays. He’s a big target, as you can see. Real good out of frame. He just needs to practice. He’s not intimidated by anything. He just needs to practice, needs to see things and once he knows exactly what to do, he’ll do it well.”
- RB Steven Jackson was asked what he expects of Quick in his rookie season and Jackson did not shy away from placing a fair share of expectation on the young wideout.
“He’s a big receiver, big target,” Jackson said. ”He has a little bit of a ways to go. What I mean by that is coming from Appalachian State – and nothing against it – but it’s a difference. It’s a difference on this field and it’s a difference in the mentality of a pro, and (Wide receivers) Coach (Ray) Sherman, I’m pretty sure he’ll get him right. But over the next six weeks, he’s going to have work really hard to get ready to prepare for a long season. We’re going to lean heavily on him. He’s a high draft pick and we need someone on the outside to make plays. I’m challenging him right now that we’re going to need him over these next six weeks to prepare himself to be a standout on this team.”
- The Rams and their newly signed rookie wideout will be back on the practice field for the second day of the mandatory full squad minicamp this afternoon.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »