– In their continuing efforts to add as much talent and competition to the roster as possible, the Rams signed FB Ovie Mughelli to a one-year contract on Saturday afternoon.
– Mughelli comes to the Rams from Atlanta where he spent the past five seasons. He finished last year on injured reserve after suffering an MCL tear in his knee in October.
– Before that, Mughelli had earned a reputation as one of the league’s best fullbacks. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2010 and earned All Pro honors in 2006 and 2010.
– Originally a fourth round pick by Baltimore in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Wake Forest, Mughelli quickly became one of the best lead blockers in the game and was rewarded following his first four seasons with what was at the time the most valuable contract for a fullback in league history, a six-year deal that had him leave Baltimore for Atlanta.
– In his nine seasons, the 32-year old Mughelli has rushed for 120 yards but been a valuable receiver with 62 catches for 490 yards and seven touchdowns.
– The Falcons released Mughelli in May of this year. He visited the Rams in the spring but the two sides waited until Saturday to consummate the deal.
– Mughelli will immediately be thrown into a competition for the fullback job with incumbent Brit Miller and undrafted rookie Todd Anderson as well as converted tight end Ben Guidugli.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 3 Comments »