– The Rams started from their 15.
– They couldn’t convert third and 5 and had to punt it away.
– Indy quickly drove the length of the field as rookie QB Chandler Harnish hit WR Jeremy Ross for a 33-yard touchdown to make it 35-3 Colts with 11:14 to go in the game.
– Pat McAfee tacked on a 31-yard field goal to make it 38-3 Colts with 4:44 to go.
– A late drive by the Rams ended on an interception thrown by Davis.
– That would do it and the Colts emerge with a 38-3 win.
– The Rams drop to 0-1 on the preseason. Indianapolis is 1-0.
– Garrett Lindholm kicked off to start the second half as Indy starts from its 20.
– Backups in across the board for the Rams defense. Even rookies Brockers and Jenkins sitting.
– Indy picked up a couple of quick first downs but DT Jermelle Cudjo came up with a sack for a loss of 9 to the Colts’ 39.
– Stanton hit T.Y. Hilton for 9 yards to set up a third-and-10.
– A 5-yard offsides penalty on Matt Conrath made it third-and-5.
– A drop on third down got it back for the Rams, who took over at their 20.
– Rookie QB Austin Davis takes over at QB for Rams’ first possession of second half.
– Davis looked downright poised on his first play, connecting with Givens for a gain of 13 and a first down.
– RB Daryl Richardson picked up 3 yards on his first attempt and Davis dumped one off to him for a gain of 2 to make it third-and-5.
– Pettis made a nice reaching grab for a gain of 8 to move the chains.
– Davis just missed a connection with Givens on a deep ball down the middle to make it second and 10 at the Rams’ 46.
– A completion to Pettis went for 4 yards and a third down pass fell incomplete.
– Tom Malone’s first punt was fair caught at the 15, where the Colts take over.
– The Colts quickly marched down the field on the strength of a catch and run from Dominique Jones for a gain of 22 to the Rams’ 26.
– Darren Evans coughed up a fumble on third and 1 bu the Rams were unable to come up with it.
– Evans punched it in from 1 yard out to make it 28-3 Colts with 7 seconds to go in the third.
– At the end of three, Indianapolis leads the Rams 28-3.
– Final line on QB Sam Bradford: he was seven of nine for 59 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions for a rating of 93.1.
– On the first play of the quarter, Clemens dumped it off to Pead, who coughed it up and the Colts recovered at their 47.
– Top defense still in for the Rams.
– The Colts moved the chains with a couple of third down conversions on third and shorts before Luck hit Austin Collie in the right corner of the end zone for a 23-yard touchdown and a 14-0 lead with 11:18 to go in the second quarter.
– WR Chris Givens got his first shot at returning a kick but it went for a touchback. Rams start at their 20.
– The Rams responded by giving Givens an opportunity on a deep ball on the first play of the drive. Clemens fired deep for Givens, who drew a pass interference call for a 54-yard gain and a first down at Indy’s 26.
– Pead picked up another first down, carrying twice for 12 yards.
– The drive died on a third down sack by Hughes and the Rams settled for a 37-yard field goal from K Greg Zuerlein. Indy leads 14-3 with 7:18 to go in the half.
– Indy picked up a first down as Delone Carter gained 3 yards on third and 1.
– Two incompletions set up third-and-10 at Indy’s 32.
– Luck hit Collie for 12 and a first down and followed with 12 more to LaVon Brazil.
– He hit Quan Cosby for a gain of 32 to set up first and goal at the Rams’ 1.
– Two plays later, Delone Carter punched it in for a 21-3 lead with 3:10 to go in the half.
– The Rams went three and out but Hekker booted a perfect 67-yard punt that went out of the bounds at the Colts’ 2. Nice start for Hekker in the preseason.
– The Colts got a first down as rookie RB Vick Ballard gave them some room to breathe with an 18-yard run to the 20.
– Indy ran the ball and the clock with Drew Stanton in at QB.
– At the half, the Colts lead it 21-3.
– The Rams won the toss and elected to receive.
– RB Isaiah Pead back to return the opening kick.
– A healthy dose of Jackson to start the game as three rushes nets 13 yards.
– Bradford hits Kendricks for 10 yards and another first down.
– A quick out to Steve Smith pick up 7 and Jackson moved the chains again with 4 more yards.
– A 6-yard completion to Amendola set up a second and four but an incompletion and a delay of game penalty pushed the Rams back to Indy’s 43.
– After a 6-yard completion to Jackson, Fisher opted to go for it on fourth-and-3. The pass for Amendola fell incomplete and the Colts take over at their 37.
– On Indianapolis’ first play from scrimmage, Luck dropped off a screen pass to RB Donald Brown who went 63 yards untouched for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead.
– The starting offense came back for a second drive, save for Jackson heading to the sideline. Pead in at running back. The drive starts from the 20.
– An 8-yard completion to Kendricks followed by a 2-yard run by FB Ovie Mughelli gave the Rams a first down at the Indy 31.
– Bradford hit Smith again for 7 yards on first down and a 1-yard gain by Pead set up a third and 2.
– Bradford hit Pettis for a gain of 13 and a first down into Indy territory.
– A false start and a botched hand off ended the drive as the Rams had to punt.
– Johnny Hekker booted his first NFL punt and the Colts took over at their 17.
– An incompletion followed by a rush for a loss of 5 yards after Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers collapsed the pocket set up a third and 15. Luck scrambled for 9 yards but the Colts punted it back to the Rams.
– St. Louis takes over at its 38.
– Jenkins was back to return the punt but it bounced out of bounds.
– Kellen Clemens in at QB.
– The rest of the second unit on offense: RB Pead, WRs Pettis and Quick, LT Jose Valdez, LG Bryan Mattison, C Tim Barnes, RG Rokevious Watkins, RT Jason Smith.
– Two Pead runs gained 9 and then Brian Quick made his first grab in a game, going for 9 yards and a first down to Indy’s 44.
– Clemens was sacked by Jerry Hughes for a loss of 6 to the 50 at the end of the first quarter.
– After one, Indianapolis leads 7-0.
– Greetings from Lucas Oil Stadium where the Rams and Colts are preparing to kick off the preseason with a 12:30 start.
– The weather is gorgeous and the roof is open for this one.
– Not much to report on the injury front but here’s a quick rundown of what we know and what we think we know:
– The Rams have listed only WR Danario Alexander and DT Trevor Laws as not playing today. They both are dealing with leg issues.
– It’s also probably safe to assume that C Scott Wells won’t be playing. Robert Turner should handle his job in the middle.
– Also not in uniform for the Rams today are S Darian Stewart, WR Brandon Gibson and CB Bradley Fletcher.
– Expect Jerome Murphy to work in Fletcher’s stead as the third corner in the nickel.
– With Gibson out, it’ll likely be Steve Smith and Greg Salas working on the outside with Danny Amendola in the slot. But Chris Givens and Brian Quick will get plenty of chances as well, same for Austin Pettis.
– The Colts list of inactives includes old friend WR Donnie Avery. He’s joined on the list by G Justin Anderson, NT Josh Chapman, OLB Tim Fugger and DE Cory Redding.
– As for playing time, expect RB Steven Jackson to get a handful of reps at most before calling it a day. It’s possible he might not get a carry.
– The starters on offense will rotate a lot, especially at WR and TE. QB Sam Bradford will probably play a series or two, depending on how his first drive goes.
– On the O line, look for Barry Richardson to get the go with the first team at right tackle. Rodger Saffold looks to be a go at left tackle but he might be monitored closely because of his soft tissue ailments.
– Coach Jeff Fisher has made it clear there will be a lot of substitutions, early and often. Look for the youngsters to get a lot of run today.
– Andrew Luck will indeed start at QB for the Colts today. Fans in this town excited to get a look at him in his debut.
– Stay tuned throughout the game for updates.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 11 Comments »