– The Rams just wrapped up their Tuesday practice and things got a little heated in what was an otherwise run of the mill practice.
– Let’s hit injuries first:
– Those who did not participate at all: WR Danario Alexander, DT Trevor Laws, DE Jamaar Jarrett, DT Darell Scott and CB Bradley Fletcher.
– Both WR Brandon Gibson and S Craig Dahl, who are battling some hamstring soreness, practiced during the opening parts of the workout but were dialed back for most of the team stuff.
– C Scott Wells made it through his first practice fine Monday but with the pads coming on Tuesday, his role was dialed back as well. Coach Jeff Fisher said he’s still got a chance to play but he wants to see how he comes through this week of practice first.
– On to the happenings on the field:
– The Rams worked some very specific things today, even in special teams but we can’t get into much detail of that here per the rules.
– The Washington University football team was in attendance today and its presence certainly made for a more interesting atmosphere as there were a couple of skirmishes between WR Danny Amendola and CB Janoris Jenkins. It certainly didn’t get out of hand but words were exchanged on multiple occasions and got to the point that after beating Jenkins on a crossing route, Amendola finished the run and tossed the ball into the stands.
– The heated exchange certainly seemed to fire up Amendola, who was, as usual, all over the field on Tuesday.
– One interesting note from the one on one pass rush drills, which are usually offensive linemen vs. defensive linemen: LB Sammy Brown joined the defense today. Remember, Brown is best known for his pass rush skills and it makes sense that the Rams might want to nurture that skill and give him a chance to develop it in this preseason.
– Much of the talk in this camp when it comes to quarterbacks has been on starter Sam Bradford and rookie Austin Davis but Kellen Clemens has seemed to respond to the challenge in the past few days. He had some strong throws on Tuesday, none better than the dart he fired on the run across his body to TE Deangelo Peterson for a big gain. And while Clemens has struggled to complete passes on a consistent basis in his career, he is 12-of-16 (75 percent) in the preseason so far.
– DE Eugene Sims seemed to get banged up during the practice and had to depart. The extent of that is unknown.
– Another strong day for WR Greg Salas, who actually got some work with the first team. With Gibson limited, it seemed the Rams really wanted to get a look at different guys with the first group today. A returning Brian Quick and fellow rookie Chris Givens, included.
– With Dahl out, rookie Rodney McLeod got many of the reps next to Quintin Mikell, who also returned to practice Tuesday.
– With Wells not in team drills, Robert Turner took his usual place in the middle of the line.
– K Greg “Young GZ” Zuerlein gets most of the attention for his booming leg – and rightfully so – but punter Johnny Hekker had a heck of a day. He really boomed some and had excellent angle on the kicks toward the sidelines as well.
– Tomorrow is the final open practice of this training camp. It’s at 3:30 and free. Hope you can make it out.
– As always, thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »