– The Rams went through their final practice of the week and their final practice under the late afternoon scheduled on Thursday as they completed preparation for Saturday night’s game in Dallas.
– Of course, the preparation doesn’t have much to do with game planning or scheming anything but the work got done nonetheless.
– The warm temperatures returned Thursday as temperatures hovered near 100 degrees after a nearly two week respite from the daunting heat.
– On the field, the Rams welcomed DE Vernon Gholston, who signed on Wednesday evening. Gholston is wearing No. 70 and working with the defensive line for those wondering if he’s playing DL or LB.
– One quick note on DE Andre Carter, who also visited the Rams on Wednesday. Carter has a longstanding relationship with Rams DL coach Mike Waufle and though his workout apparently went OK, he’s just not quite fully recovered from his torn quadriceps injury. It should also be noted that if you sign a vet of Carter’s experience and he’s on the roster in the first week, his salary is fully guaranteed.
– Carter’s situation could be revisited later on.
– On the injury front, the Rams were without the following players on Thursday: DE Eugene Sims, DE Jamaar Jarrett, DT Darell Scott, WR Danario Alexander, DT Trevor Laws, S Craig Dahl, S Darian Stewart and WR Brandon Gibson.
– CB Bradley Fletcher worked his way back into the mix Thursday.
– C Scott Wells made it through another practice just fine as well.
– Obviously, the Rams are very low on bodies at safety right now. Rookies Rodney McLeod and Matt Daniels are getting a lot of work in practice. McLeod, in particular, is running all over the place, working with the first and second units.
– The Rams are starting to sprinkle in some youngsters with the first unit. While it stands to reason that Isaiah Pead would get the bulk of the reps with the first time at RB, Daryl Richardson also got some opportunities.
– All’s quiet at right tackle as Barry Richardson went through another week taking all of the reps with the first team.
– As has been custom during the preseason, Fisher gave the backup units a lot of work in this practice. That’s for the obvious reason that they’ll be getting the bulk of the playing time against the Cowboys on Saturday night. Remember, Fisher said the starters will likely play a quarter, perhaps a bit more in Dallas.
– Some nice moments for rookie WR Brian Quick, who was among the rookies to get work with the first team. Expect to see him with the top group on Saturday night.
– All for today. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »