ARLINGTON, Tex. –
– The Rams finally broke through for a touchdown as Clemens hit Austin Pettis for a 2-yard touchdown.
– Garrett Lindholm missed the PAT and Dallas leads 20-12 with 12:50 to go.
– The defense did its part, getting another stop to give it back to the offense at the St. Louis 25.
– On the first play, Clemens took a shot from Adrian Hamilton. He was woozy when he stood up and Austin Davis stepped in for him.
– The Rams went three and out, giving it back to Dallas at its 37.
– Another three and out got it back for the Rams at their 21 with 7:05 to go.
– On second-and-5, Davis hit Chase Reynolds for a gain of 22 to the Dallas 39.
– Reynolds going to work on this drive ripping off runs of 6 and 8 on consecutive attempts to make it second-and-4 at the 14.
– Davis hit Salas for a gain of 6 and a first down to the 8.
– A defensive holding gave the Rams first and goal at the 4.
– Nice drive by Davis here.
– Greg Salas looked to make a terrific TD catch on first down but it was overturned on a questionable review.
– Reynolds finished it on the next play.
– Rams trim it to 20-19 with 2:10 to play.
– An onside kick attempt failed, giving it back to Dallas at its 49 with 2:10 to play.
– The Rams stuffed the first down play for a 1-yard gain and an incompletion at the two minute warning brought up third-and-9.
– The Cowboys picked up a first down on a scramble on third-and-14 to keep the drive alive.
– That was enough to help them run out the clock and claim a 20-19 victory.
– The second team offense started the second half.
– Clemens hit Hoomanawanui for 13 and a first down.
– On first down at the 48, Clemens fired for Quick, who took a hard shot at went down with 13:24 to go in the third.
– The teams traded punts giving it back to the Rams before Clemens hit Quick for 39 yards down the left sideline.
– The Rams have a second-and-6 at Dallas’ 16 at the end of the quarter. They trail the Cowboys 20-6.
– The Rams couldn’t pick up a first down as Bradford was sacked again. Dallas takes over at its 22.
– Romo is done for the night after an impressive first quarter. Rest of Cowboys starters still in against Rams top defense.
– The Rams got it back with a big defensive play as LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar came clean on a blitz, sacking Orton and forcing a fumble. The Rams took over at the Dallas 38.
– Again, the Rams got nothing going offensively as they mustered just 4 yards before Zuerlein hit from 52 yards out to make it 17-6 Dallas with 10:41 to go in the half.
– On that drive, Turner replaced Wells and Jackson made no appearances as Pead took the reps at running back.
– The Rams got their first three and out as Mikell made a solid open field tackle on third down.
– The offense gets it back at its 18. Still first team offense in right now.
– What appeared to be a three and out turned into a first down as the Rams pulled out some trickery. S Matt Daniel took the direct snap on the punt and picked up 30 yards to the Dallas 43.
– On second down Bradford found RIchardson for 9 on a screen pass.
– Richardson took advantage of his opportunities carrying three times for 13 yards.
– On third-and-3 at Dallas’ 14, the Rams benefited from an offsides penalty to make it first and goal at the 9.
– The Rams got to the 5 on a 4-yard completion to TE Mike McNeill but couldn’t score after incompletions on third and fourth down.
– Dallas takes over at its 5 with 2:42 to go in the half.
– The Rams starting defense plays the whole first half as they are back on the field.
– Dallas got another drive going with some big plays, including a 19-yard strike from Orton to Harris on second-and-17 to the Rams’ 28.
– Bailey hit from 31 yards out to make it 20-6 Dallas at the half.
– The Cowboys won the toss and elected to receive.
– Quick note: G Harvey Dahl has an unknown infection and will not play tonight. Bryan Mattison starts in his stead at right guard.
– The Cowboys started from their 20 and moved methodically, mostly by way of checkdown.
– The biggest play came on a 25-yard pass from Tony Romo to Kevin Ogletree when Janoris Jenkins slipped at the line.
– Ulimately, Dallas settled for a 38-yard field goal by Dan Bailey to make it 3-0 Dallas.
– The Rams got it at their 18 and quickly picked up a first down as Bradford hit Gibson for a gain of 14.
– St. Louis opened with a starting WR corps of Gibson, Danny Amendola and Steve Smith. Mattison replaced Dahl at right guard and Scott Wells did indeed get the start at center.
– The Rams couldn’t get another first down though as Quinn Ojinnaka was beat for a sack on third down. Dallas gets it back at the 23.
– The Cowboys wasted no time getting on the board again after a 16-yard run by Murray on first down, Romo threw a perfect pass to WR Dwayne Harris for a 61-yard touchdown to make it 10-0 Dallas with 6:19 to go in the first quarter.
– Pead with a nice return, 47 yards to the Rams’ 40.
– On first down, Bradford found TE Lance Kendricks for a gain of 26 to the Dallas 34.
– The drive immediately went into stall though after a false start penalty on RT Barry Richardson.
– After a couple of runs by Pead netted 2 yards, Bradford threw incomplete on third down.
– Not surprisingly, the Rams opted to go with a field goal from K Greg Zuerlein. And, of course, Young GZ hit from 55 yards out. Dallas leads 10-3 with 4:06 to go in the first quarter.
– Nice tackle by rookie S Rodney McLeod on the ensuing kickoff. Dallas starts at its 11.
– Again, the Cowboys had no problems moving it as Romo hit Ogletree for 15 and Cole Beasley for 19.
– On second-and-3 from the Rams’ 38, Romo hit Harris on a crossing route. Harris ran through a combo tackle from Jenkins and Dahl on his way to the end zone.
– With 34 seconds to go in the first, Dallas leads 17-3.
– Greetings from the palatial Cowboys Stadium where the Rams and Cowboys will square off in about two hours in the third preseason game.
– Dallas is expected to play its starters for an extended period tonight as many teams do in the preseason but the Rams will not fall in line with that theory. The Rams starters will go a quarter, possibly a bit more with the starters though some of the youngsters will go longer.
– Look for C Scott Wells to make his Rams debut tonight with the first unit.
– DE Eugene Sims, WR Danario Alexander, S Darian Stewart and DTs Darell Scott and Trevor Laws will not be available tonight.
– DE Vernon Gholston is active and wearing No. 70 for the defense.
– There are others who might not play for the Rams tonight such as WR Brandon Gibson and S Craig Dahl. They’ve battled various injuries this week so keep an eye on those positions. If nothing else, they could see limited action.
– The Rams are going to work in the youngsters with the 1s tonight. Don’t expect much Steven Jackson at RB but don’t be surprised if Isaiah Pead AND Daryl Richardson get some reps with the first team.
– WRs Chris Givens and Brian Quick also figure to get work with the first offense.
– The Rams are wearing blue jerseys and blue pants tonight.
– On the other side, Dallas does not declare inactive in the preseason but some names that likely won’t play or be inactive: TE Jason Witten and LB Isaiah Greenhouse.
– Dallas is wearing white jerseys and silver pants.
– Stay tuned for updates throughout the game.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 15 Comments »