– The Rams trimmed their roster from 90 to 75 on Monday afternoon with no real surprises on the list, though a couple of names did stand out.
– First, the Rams released only 14 players but that’s because one went to injured reserve. That player was DT Trevor Laws.
– The players waived by the Rams: WR Danario Alexander, FB Todd Anderson, TE Brody Eldridge, WR Charles Gilbert, DT John Gill, WR Brandyn Harvey, LB Alex Hoffman-Ellis, T Kevin Hughes, LB Noah Keller, K Garrett Lindholm, T Ryan McKee, RB Calvin Middleton, RB Nick Schwieger and LS Travis Tripucka.
– Laws has a partial tear in his right patellar tendon, a problem that has been chronic for him. He was unable to practice almost all of training camp and he wouldn’t have been ready to start the season. That means some real openings for backup DT spots for youngsters Matt Conrath and Jermelle Cudjo. Also, it could mean the Rams look for more help at the position after final cuts are made.
– On the cuts list, no real surprises though a familiar name was on the list in the form of Alexander.
– It’s been covered here and plenty of other place ad nausea but it’s just been too difficult for Alexander to stay on the field. This camp, he sat out with a hamstring issue then practice a couple of times before going back on the shelf with more hamstring problems. Couple that with the on going knee issues which will always require management and here we are. Alexander is a great kid and a talented player but those talents don’t help a football team on the sideline. Here’s hoping the best for him in the future.
– The rest of the group didn’t get many opportunities in the preseason as others moved ahead of them on the list. Some were late additions such as Gill, Harvey and Gilbert. Best of luck to all of the players let go.
– The final cuts will come Friday when the Rams must go from 75 to 53. Here’s a positional breakdown of what’s left on the roster:
QB (4): Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, Tom Brandstater
RB (4): Steven Jackson, Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson, Chase Reynolds
FB (3): Brit Miller, Ovie Mughelli, Ben Guidugli
WR (9): Danny Amendola, Steve Smith, Brandon Gibson, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Greg Salas, Nick Johnson, Mike Campbell
TE (6): Lance Kendricks, Matthew Mulligan, Mike Hoomanawanui, Mike McNeill, Deangelo Peterson, Cory Harkey
OL (13): Rodger Saffold, Quinn Ojinnaka, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Barry Richardson, Jason Smith, Robert Turner, T. Bob Hebert, Jose Valdez, Bryan Mattison, Rokevious Watkins, Joe Long, Tim Barnes
Total left on offense: 39
DL (13): Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Kendall Langford, Michael Brockers, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Matt Conrath, Jermelle Cudjo, Darell Scott, Cornell Banks, Jamaar Jarrett, Scott Smith, Vernon Gholston
LB (8): James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Rocky McIntosh, Mario Haggan, Josh Hull, Aaron Brown, Justin Cole, Sammy Brown
CB: (7): Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Bradley Fletcher, Trumaine Johnson, Jerome Murphy, Kendric Burney, Quinton Pointer
S (5): Quintin Mikell, Darian Stewart, Craig Dahl, Rodney McLeod, Matt Daniels
Total on Defense: 33
– And, not there was much mystery anyway but the Rams have settled their specialist positions as well.
K (1): Greg Zuerlein
P (1): Johnny Hekker
LS (1): Jake McQuaide
– That’s all for today. I’ll have more in a story for the front with reaction quotes following coach Jeff Fisher’s news conference. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »