– Because of the nature of today, this week’s edition of “Wrapping Up” will be short and sweet with a quick look back at last night’s win against the Ravens.
– Coach Jeff Fisher is going to address the media and the team’s cut down to the final 53 players at 5 p.m. today. Most of the attention will be on that when the time comes.
– In the meantime, here’s a quick recap from last night’s 31-17 win in the preseason finale against the Ravens.
– DTs Michael Brockers and Matt Conrath both suffered some sort of lower body injuries. The Rams’ hope is that neither injury is too serious but we’ll know more after the full battery of tests. No matter what, the Rams are going to need to add another body or two at DT. With Trevor Laws on I.R., this position is now neck and neck with safety for the thinnest on the team in terms of depth.
– Some are questioning the veracity of playing the starters in the preseason finale for as long as the Rams did. But not sure you can look at it in a vaccuum. Yes, Brockers was hurt but who is to say that wouldn’t happen in a practice or in some other every day activity. The fact is, if the Rams were a veteran team coming off multiple playoff trips like Baltimore, then perhaps you sit your starters. But the Rams are the youngest team in the league and guys like Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, etc. need as many reps as possible to prepare for the real thing.
– Nice to see TE Michael Hoomanawanui get in the end zone and make a play. Still think the Rams keep four TEs but it’s going to be interesting to see how it shakes out after Lance Kendricks and Matthew Mulligan.
– Said it last night and will repeat myself here: CB Quinton Pointer had his best game of the preseason. Who knows if it lands him a roster spot but is it out of the realm of possibility? Probably not.
– Failed to mention this and shame on me but there needs to be some props given to the special teams beyond K Greg Zuerlein and P Johnny Hekker. The coverage units were outstanding and they had some good returns in the preseason, especially on kick returns. Chris Givens had a nice one last night.
– Will be interesting to see how the Rams sort through the options at places like backup linebacker and fullback when it comes to special teams. Guys like Aaron Brown remain on the bubble there.
– RT Wayne Hunter – who I’ll have more on later – is REALLY happy to be out of the New York market and in a more comfortable setting like St. Louis.
– Rookie WRs Brian Quick and Givens didn’t get the opportunities with the first unit Fisher had hoped. He said that’s because the first unit didn’t play as long as expected after it produced so well early in the game.
– Another nice TD for Austin Pettis. He had a really strong preseason and seems to be position to have a spot waiting for him on this team when he returns after week 2.
– Seeing the replay of the Brockers injury, is there any way that play is considered legal? Classic illegal high-low block away from the play, missed by officials.
– That’s going to do it for this one. Back more with all of the cuts and the breakdown of the remaining 53. Keep in mind – as Fisher was quick to remind last night – the 53 remaining players aren’t necessarily the “final” 53. Fisher made it clear the Rams will continue to churn the bottom of the roster in search of players that can help.
– Figures to be a busy few days around here even without a practice lined up.
– Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »