– The Rams announced their 22 roster moves to get down to their 53 remaining players on Friday afternoon.
– There weren’t any major surprises in the group but it’s important to keep in mind that the Rams will continue to look for help: particularly at positions like DT, S and OL moving forward. So, this 53-man roster is by no means “final.”
– There was, however, one surprise. The Rams released QB Kellen Clemens as Austin Davis won a roster spot.
– Likewise, 8 players can land on the practice squad. Those eight don’t necessarily have to come from this group but it’s safe to say a majority will.
– Here are the rest of the cuts: DT Cornell Banks, C Tim Barnes, QB Tom Brandstater, DE Mason Brodine, LB Aaron Brown, LB Sammy Brown, CB Kendric Burney, DE Vernon Gholston, FB Ben Guidugli, TE Cory Harkey, OL T. Bob Hebert, DE Jamaar Jarrett, WR Nick Johnson, T Joe Long, G Bryan Mattison, FB Ovie Mughelli, TE Deangelo Peterson, RB Chase Reynolds, DE Scott Smith, OL Jose Valdez.
– Keep in mind that WR Austin Pettis is suspended for the first two weeks of the season and will be eligible to return for week 3. He does not count against the 53-man roster at this time and goes on the Reserve/Suspended list.
– Here’s a breakdown of the 53 players remaining on the roster:
QB (2): Sam Bradford, Austin Davis
RB (4): Steven Jackson, Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson, Brit Miller
WR (6)*: Danny Amendola, Steve Smith, Brandon Gibson, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Greg Salas
TE (4): Lance Kendricks, Matthew Mulligan, Michael Hoomanawanui, Mike McNeill
OL (8): Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Rodger Saffold, Barry Richardson, Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Rokevious Watkins, Wayne Hunter
DE (4): Chris Long, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
DT (5): Kendall Langford, Michael Brockers, Jermelle Cudjo, Matt Conrath, Darell Scott
LB (6): James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Mario Haggan, Rocky McIntosh, Josh Hull, Justin Cole
CB (6): Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Jerome Murphy, Bradley Fletcher, Quinton Pointer
S (5): Quintin Mikell, Craig Dahl, Darian Stewart, Rodney McLeod, Matt Daniels
K (1): Greg Zuerlein
P (1): Johnny Hekker
LS (1): Jake McQuaide
– And there’s your final 53.
– A few notes on some of the breakdown…
While none of the cuts were a real surprise, there were some mild ones in the group.
FB Ovie Mughelli would count as one. He seemed to be in good shape but ultimately the Rams wanted to keep just one and Mughelli wasn’t able to overtake Miller. Miller has added value on special teams. Keeping just one fullback also allow the Rams to keep four tight ends.
Speaking of tight ends, the competition had crystallized recently with McNeill and Hoomanawanui stepping forward. Harkey and Peterson had impressed at time and one could be a candidate for the practice squad but with just one fullback, the Rams went with the fourth tight end.
Not a big surprise that Davis landed a QB spot but a little bit of a surprise that he’s the No. 2 guy heading into next week. It’s possible the Rams could look to add a veteran to be the No. 2 but they could also find another youngster to go to the practice squad.
Perhaps the name that will surprise the most is Pointer. Not many, if any, expected that to happen but he finished the preseason strong and had a big game last night to cement his spot. With Pointer, Daniels and McLeod all making it, the Rams have three undrafted DBs on the roster.
The receiver situation worked itself out because of Pettis’ status. The Rams get two additional weeks to sort that out. An injury could make the decision for them eventually, too.
At DT, it’s hard to imagine the Rams will carry a trio of injured players into the opener. Scott’s likely out the longest and the Rams will likely look to add another, healthy DT that would be available week 1.
– It needs to be mentioned again and this can’t be emphasized enough but this is by no means a hard and fast final roster. Fisher and GM Les Snead and their crew will be looking at everyone who hits the waiver wire in search of potential upgrades. We’ll have a much better idea of the 53 the Rams want to go into the regular season with come next Wednesday.
– Thanks for reading. Check the homepage for more on the roster cutdown as well as an update on DT Michael Brockers’ ankle injury.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 3 Comments »