- The Rams continued to make roster moves Sunday afternoon as coach Jeff Fisher had promised, this time looking to bolster the offensive line.
- On the heels of adding DT Kellen Heard and RB Terrance Ganaway, releasing CB Jerome Murphy and trading WR Greg Salas to New England, the Rams added two more to the offensive line.
- The Rams claimed T Ty Nsekhe and G Shelley Smith off waivers from Indianapolis and Houston, respectively. To make room for the two new additions, the Rams released OL Quinn Ojinnaka and TE Mike Hoomanawanui.
- Ojinnaka started all four preseason games at left guard for the Rams but apparently didn’t grab hold of the job on a permanent basis. Smith could be a candidate to step in but more likely, Robert Turner or rookie Rokevious Watkins will get that opportunity. Turner started at RG last week with Harvey Dahl out because of illness but Watkins has seemingly been groomed for the job since his arrival.
- Hoomanawanui was one of the team’s most promising players when he came into the league in 2010, quickly forming a bond with QB Sam Bradford as rookies. Plagued by injuries, Hoomanawanui never was able to keep that early momentum and solidify his position under the new regime.
- Nsekhe is a former Arena League star out of Texas State but spent the preseason with Indianapolis. At 6’8, 325 pounds, he is instantly one of the biggest players on the Rams. He’s considered a bit raw but has upside.
- Minnesota also put in a claim on Nsekhe.
- Smith is a more known commodity, coming from Houston. He spent the past two seasons with the Texans after they used a sixth round pick on him in the 2010 NFL Draft out of Colorado State.
- Smith spent most of his rookie year on Houston’s practice squad before getting a promotion to the active roster in December of his rookie season. He spent all of last season on injured reserve with a knee injury.
- The 6’4, 299-pound guard was claimed by Washington, Seattle and Tennessee, in addition to the Rams.
- It remains to be seen what role Nsekhe and Smith fill moving forward but the Rams now have nine offensive linemen on the roster.
- Here’s the OL breakdown:
C – Scott Wells, Robert Turner
G – Harvey Dahl, Turner, Rokevious Watkins, Smith
T – Rodger Saffold, Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter, Nsekhe
- The Rams get back to work in practice on Tuesday. How the line looks should crystallize more then but considering how the Rams have continued to look for outside help, don’t be shocked if more moves are made before then.
- Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »