- After a few days of meetings and informal walk throughs, the drastically reduced roster of the Rams got back to work in preparation for Detroit with a full practice Wednesday afternoon.
– The rain moved the Rams indoors for the practice which wasn’t much of a hindrance considering they’ll be playing in Ford Field in Detroit this weekend.
– Nothing surprising for the Rams in terms of injuries. G Harvey Dahl (infection), safety Darian Stewart (hamstring) and DE Eugene Sims (ankle) were able to return to practice and were not limited in any way.
– In fact, the only players listed on the official injury report were defensive tackles, all of whom have been dealing with previous injury issues. Michael Brockers (ankle), Matt Conrath (knee) and Darell Scott (knee) did not participate.
– It seems likely the Rams won’t have Brockers and Scott available this week. Conrath’s situation is more uncertain. It’s believed his injury is a knee sprain so it’s possible he could be available but it remains to be seen as the week goes on whether he’ll get some work.
– With that trio absent, the Rams had just three DTs available in the form of Kendall Langford, Jermelle Cudjo and Kellen Heard. Cudjo and Heard took turns subbing in alongside Langford but with numbers low, there was plenty of rotating going on.
– Detroit listed a pair of starting defensive backs on its injury report: S Louis Delmas (knee) and CB Chris Houston (ankle). It’s unknown whether either will be available on Sunday but the loss of either would be costly for the Lions.
– A couple of quick notes from the Rams practice:
OT Ty Nsekhe opted to wear No. 60 instead of 69.
S Rodney McLeod switched from No. 38 to 23.
– Because we are now in regular season mode, reporting extensively on formations and personnel in is no longer fair game.
– The obvious opening right now is at left guard after the team released Quinn Ojinnaka over the weekend. The Rams have two obvious candidates in rookie Rokevious Watkins and Robert Turner. Both got reps at LG on Wednesday. Safe not to expect the Rams to make any sort of announcement on who will start there in advance of the game. Watkins did say Wednesday that he’d been told nothing and he would just “go with the flow.” More on how far Watkins has come from when he reported at the beginning of camp to now coming soon to the home page.
– Stewart made his return to practice after missing a couple weeks with a soft tissue injury. He figures to be available on Sunday.
– Interesting note on Sunday’s game from the NFL: it will match the league’s youngest team (the Rams) against its oldest (Detroit).
– All for today. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »