– Of all the things to occur in a regular Wednesday afternoon practice, none is usually as uplifting as the sight on the Rams’ practice field Wednesday afternoon.
– That’s because, after a tremendous scare in Detroit, LT Rodger Saffold not only made an appearance but even participated on a limited basis in the workout. Saffold suffered a neck strain against Detroit that, at the moment it occurred, appeared to be quite serious. Saffold was taken off the field on a backboard and spent the night in Detroit.
– So for Saffold to participate in Wednesday’s practice was a great and positive sign. By no means does it indicate he’ll play this week – he said he still had to get full range of motion back – but it’s a heck of a strong step in the right direction. I’ll have more on Saffold in a feature piece for the homepage later today.
– Elsewhere, the news on the offensive line was not so good. G Rokevious Watkins has an ankle injury and did not participate. His status for this week isn’t bright and it’s unlikely he’ll be available.
– With Watkins out, it was quite literally a case of picking up where he left off for the newly re-signed Quinn Ojinnaka. Ojinnaka figures to be in the mix for the left guard job this week with last week’s starter at the position, Robert Turner, moving to center to replace Scott Wells.
– With Saffold limited to some individual work, Wayne Hunter it the logical replacement after he stepped in for Saffold in Detroit.
– DT Darell Scott returned to practice on a limited basis after missing most of the past month with a knee injury.
– DTs Michael Brockers and Matt Conrath did not participate.
– For the Redskins, WR Pierre Garcon and S Brandon Merriweather did not participate with foot and knee injuries, respectively.
– Nose tackle Chris Baker (ankle) was listed as full participation.
– Coach Jeff Fisher was pleased to wipe the slate clean and begin preparation for a game against the Redskins. Fisher and Washington coach Mike Shanahan have a longstanding friendship and are two of the most successful coaches in the league in the past two decades or so.
– Rams are back to practice Thursday afternoon. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »