- The Rams made a roster move on Tuesday, officially bringing WR Austin Pettis back to the active 53-man roster. To make room for him, the team placed guard Rokevious Watkins on injured reserve, bringing his rookie season to an end before it ever really got going.
– Pettis, of course, served the final two games of a four-game suspension the first two weeks of this season after spending the offseason and preseason with the team. He spent the past two weeks in town training with his own personal trainers since he was not allowed to be with the team at the facility.
– On Monday, Pettis returned to the team and took part in meetings. The Rams had a 24-hour exemption on Pettis that allowed them more time to make a decision on the corresponding roster move.
– With Pettis back, the Rams are now carrying six receivers: Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Steve Smith, Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Pettis.
– Unfortunately for Watkins, the move comes at his expense. The big fifth-round pick out of South Carolina arrived to camp overweight but quickly worked back into shape and was right in the mix for a starting job on the left side entering week 1.
– Although Robert Turner stepped in on the left side in the opener in Detroit, Watkins ended up getting his shot when C Scott Wells suffered a foot injury and Turner moved to the middle. Watkins didn’t make it out of the game healthy, either. He appeared to suffer a serious ankle injury on the team’s field goal attempt that gave them a late lead.
– Watkins was on crutches and in a walking boot last week and did not practice. It’s unknown how long the injury would have kept him out if he was able to return this season but that is no longer a factor. Watkins will not be able to return this season as he goes to I.R.
– With Watkins done, the Rams now have the following on the offensive line: (Italics means injured and able to return)
Tackle: Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter, Ty Nsekhe, Rodger Saffold
Guard: Harvey Dahl, Quinn Ojinnaka, Shelley Smith
Center: Robert Turner, Tim Barnes, Scott Wells
– Wells is on injured reserve but has the designation that he can return to practice after six weeks on the list and can play after eight weeks. He’s been on the list for one week.
– The Rams are back at it tomorrow with a normal Wednesday practice. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »