- The NFL announced its weekly award nominees on Tuesday morning and for the second week in a row, the Rams have a rookie specialist nominated for the PepsiMAX Rookie of the Week award. This time, it’s punter Johnny Hekker, who posted a franchise record performance last Thursday against Arizona.
– Fans can vote for Hekker to win the award at www.nfl.com/rookies. Voting lasts through Friday.
– Hekker set a franchise record for gross punting average in a single game with 56.9 yards per try against the Cardinals as helped neutralize dynamic Arizona returner Patrick Peterson.
– Here’s the official release from the league on Hekker’s nomination:
NFL ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR PEPSI MAX
NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Fans To Vote For Winner On NFL.com
Punter JOHNNY HEKKER of the St. Louis Rams, linebacker LUKE KUECHLY of the Carolina Panthers, quarterback ANDREW LUCK of the Indianapolis Colts, wide receiver RUEBEN RANDLE of the New York Giants and quarterback RYAN TANNEHILL of the Miami Dolphins are the finalists for PEPSI MAX NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK honors for games played on October 4-8, the NFL announced today.
Fans can vote for one of these five players on NFL.com/rookies beginning Tuesday at 9 A.M. ET and ending on Friday at 3 P.M. ET to determine the PEPSI MAX NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK. The PEPSI MAX NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK will be announced Friday on NFL Total Access on NFL Network and on NFL.com.
After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi MAX NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January. The Pepsi MAX NFL Rookie of the Year will be announced at the second annual “NFL Honors” awards show in New Orleans on Saturday, February 2, the night before Super Bowl XLVII.
A closer look at the finalists:
- St. Louis Rams P Johnny Hekkerpunted seven times for a gross average of 56.9 yards per punt, placing three of his punts inside the opponent’s 20 yard line. He had two punts of 60 plus yards in the Rams’ 17-3 win over the Arizona Cardinals.
- Carolina Panthers LB Luke Kuechlyrecorded 11 tackles and one interception in the Panthers’ 16-12 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
- Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck threw for 362 yards on 31 of 55 attempts and two touchdowns as the Colts beat the Green Bay Packers 30-27.
- New York Giants WR Rueben Randle caught six passes for 82 yards in the Giants’ 41-27 victory over the Cleveland Browns.
- Miami Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill completed 17 of 26 passes for 223 yards in the Dolphins’ 17-13 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
This is Pepsi’s eleventh year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the eleventh year that Pepsi will present the NFL Rookie of the Week and NFL Rookie of the Year awards.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »