– For the second week in a row, the Rams had a rookie specialist earn NFC Special Teams Player of the Week. But this time, it wasn’t the man of many names, K Greg Zuerlein. It was his roommate, P Johnny Hekker claiming the honors.
– Hekker had a dynamic performance against Arizona last Thursday as he posted a franchise record day against the Cardinals. He finished with a gross average of 56.9 yards, the best mark in franchise history for one game.
– For the season, Hekker is fifth in the NFL in gross average at 49.5 and 10th in net punting with an average of 41.2 yards.
– Hekker helped contain dynamic Arizona PR Patrick Peterson, including a couple of perfectly placed directional kicks that dropped out of bounds and kept Peterson from even making a return.
– Hekker has helped the Rams beyond his punting duties as well. In addition to punting and holding, he tossed a 2-yard touchdown pass to Danny Amendola on a fake field goal attempt. He’s the only Rams punter since the NFL/AFL merger to throw a touchdown pass.
– Hekker is also up for the PepsiMAX NFL Rookie of the Week, an award fans can vote on at www.nfl.com/rookies
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »