- The Rams entered the bye on a three game losing streak coming off games against difficult opponents in Green Bay and New England. But the bye week brought no rest for the weary as the Rams return to action this week against another in a line of top-tier foes with a trip to San Francisco to face the physical 49ers.
- Rams coach Jeff Fisher acknowledged just how much of a challenge the Niners will be this week, especially on the road. In saying the Rams have their “hands full,” Fisher dished out praise to Niners QB Alex Smith, RB Frank Gore, San Francisco’s defense and called the Niners’ offensive line the best in football.
- No question the Rams have a tough task at hand.
- On the news front, the Rams made a roster move on Wednesday as they brought CB Quinton Pointer back to the active roster from the practice squad. Pointer was on the active roster for the first week after making the team as a bit of a surprise out of training camp. But when C Scott Wells suffered an injury as well as others in that opening week, the Rams had to make some room to add reinforcements. Pointer was sent back to the practice squad at the time.
- Now, with S Matt Daniels out for the season because of a torn ACL, Pointer gets a shot back on the active roster. Fisher said Pointer’s role will be similar to what Daniels was doing: filling in on special teams and working in a reserve role in the secondary.
- Taking Pointer’s place on the practice squad is WR Saalim Hakim, the younger brother of former Rams WR Az-Zahir Hakim. He’s 5’11, 188 pounds and played at Palomar Junior College in California.
- On the injury front, the Rams had some good news on Wednesday.
- C Scott Wells (foot) officially started his three-week clock as he remains on the deisgnated for return version of the injured reserve list. He practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and the Rams now have three weeks to get him up to speed. At the end of that time, the Rams can move Wells to the active roster and put him on injured reserve and end his season.
- Elsewhere, here’s how it looked:
Did Not Practice: DE Eugene Sims (knee), S Darian Stewart (knee) and LB Justin Cole (illness).
Limited Participation: T Wayne Hunter (back), T Rodger Saffold (knee), Wells, WR Danny Amendola (shoulder) and LB Mario Haggan (thigh).
Full Participation: T Barry Richardson (head)
- That’s all for today. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »