SAN FRANCISCO –
– Rams win toss and receive. They have it at their 18.
– On the first play, Bradford hits Amendola for a gain of 80 yards but it’s called back on illegal formation. Unreal.
– The Rams missed on third and 1 as a pass for Miller was knocked down.
– Hekker punts to the Niners, who take over at their 40.
– Just a devastating turn of events.
– The Niners move quickly on the ground with a 14-yard run by Kaepernick to the Rams’ 25.
– Gore lost 3 after gaining 1 to make it third-and-12 at the Rams 27.
– Gore gained 4 to the 24 to set up Akers from 41 yards out.
– Akers missed wide left from 41 yards out to give it back to the Rams at their 31.
– Bradford hit Gibson for 9 and a first down and Jackson gained 7 to midfield.
– Jackson lost 1 on second to make it third-and-4.
– Amendola with a huge catch on third down. What a baller.
– First down and 10 at the Niners’ 41.
– Jackson gains 8 to the 33.
– An illegal shift pushed the Rams back 5.
– On second and 7, Richardson gained 4 to set up a huge third-and-3.
– Delay of game on a kick that was way good. Now a 58-yard attempt for Zuerlein. Shocking again.
– Missed wide right. Just devastating.
– Kaepernick runs for 2 and Gore for 1 to make it third-and-7 from the Rams’ 49. This could be the game for the Rams.
– DE Chris Long with the big sack on third down. Niners will have to punt from their 43.
– Rams start from their 14.
– Two plays for 5 yards makes it third and 5.
– A defensive holding penalty gave the Rams a first down at their 24.
– Some major shenanigans on the spot of the ball here.
– Rams get a first to their 38.
– That’ll do it. This one ends in a tie as Smith sacks Bradford.
– Tied at 24 it ends.
– An amazing game with big plays and missed chances. First tie since Nov. 16, 2008.
– The Niners got the drive rolling with gains of 20 and 12 and a 13-yard pass to Moss into Rams territory.
– But the Rams missed two golden opportunities to recover fumbles as Gore scooped one up and raced 12 yards and the Niners fell on another following a sack by Mario Haggan.
– Kaepernick hit Davis for 17 yards on third and 18 to make it fourth and 1.
– Harbaugh went for it again and Gore picked up 3 to the right side to keep the drive alive at the Rams 18. Great chance just missed there as well.
– An 11-yard catch and run by Gore made it first and goal at the 7.
– Kaepernick ran zone read and darted to the right corner of the end zone for a touchdown to trim the Rams lead to 17-14 with 8:40 to go in the game.
– Disaster strikes the Rams as Pead fumbles following a nice kick return. The Niners take over at the Rams 20.
– The way fumbles have gone for the Rams this year, that’s a heartbreaking play.
– Defense has to find a way here.
– On the next play, Gore runs off right tackle for a 20-yard touchdown. A stunning turn of events.
– The Niners lead 21-17 with 8:23 to play.
-Rams start from their 19.
– Richardson gained 5 on first and the chains moved on a completion to Amendola for 7 to the 31.
– After three plays gained just 2 yards, the Rams went to the trickery again as Hekker faked a handoff to Amendola and hit Kendricks for a gain of 19.
– Following a holding call, the Rams got it back a little at a time with 6 yards from Jackson, 6 to Amendola and 16 on third and 8 to the Niners 30.
– 2 from Jackson followed by Bradford to Gibson for 14 to the 14.
– On first and 10 at the Niners 14, Jackson gained 2 then Amendola caught a pass for 8 for a first down at the Niners 2.
– On first down, Bradford faked the handoff and Jackson made a huge blitz pickup and Bradford hit Pettis for a 2-yard score.
– The extra point makes it 24-12 with 1:09 to go.
– The Niners start from their 22 with 1:03 and two timeouts in their pocket.
– Kaepernick ran for 19 on first down.
– On the next play, Kaepernick hit Davis for a gain of 4 and an injury to Johnson gave the Niners another timeout.
– The Niners got it done as Akers hits from 33 yards out. We are headed to overtime tied at 24. Disappointing after that drive for the Rams.
– The Rams start from their 20 to open the second half.
– Amendola back in after some leg cramps brought him out.
– Bradford hits him on cue for 14 yards on third and 5 to get the drive rolling.
– Jackson gains 6 on first down to San Francisco’s 45.
– A 3-yard run made it third and 1 but a fumbled center exchange lost a yard as FB Brit Miller fell on the fumble.
– The Rams had to punt and Hekker pinned the Niner t their 8.
– After an 11-yard completion, Niners WR Kyle Williams fumbled but happened to fall right on it.
– The Rams got a quick stop after and Amendola had a huge return called back by a very questionable block in the back call.
– The Rams start from their 31 after narrowly missing on two opportunities.
– Bradford’s deep shot to Amendola on first down fell incomplete.
– The drive then became a series of missteps, steps forward and penalties.
– In the end, it was a 15-play drive that chewed more than 8 minutes off the clock and finished with Zuerlein’s 27-yard field goal to make it 17-7 with 18 seconds left in the quarter.
– Highlight of the drive: Jackson’s second, third, and 12th efforts along with the O-line to convert a third and 14 and keep the drive alive.
– The Niners start from their 19 with 12 seconds to go in the third.
– Kaepernick hit Randy Moss for 6 on first down.
– At the end of three, the Rams lead it 17-7.
– An 11-yard run by Gore followed by gains of 3 and 5 made it third and 2.
– After Gore was stopped for a gain of 1, the Rams opted to accept an illegal formation penalty and make it third and 7.
– There, Smith hit Crabtree, who made S Craig Dahl miss and cruised into the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown.
– With 8:13 to go in the half, the Rams lead 14-7.
– The Rams started again from their 15.
– The offense went three and out for the first time today when WR Gibson couldn’t hang on to a third down pass.
– San Francisco starts from its 33.
– Colin Kaepernick is in at QB for San Francisco.
– No update yet on Smith’s status.
– Kaepernick immediately scrambled for 11 before Gore picked up 13 on two runs into Rams territory.
– An incompletion and a Gore run for no gain and a holding set up third and 20.
– Kaepernick scrambled for a gain of 4 and the Niners punted for a touchback.
– The Rams start again at their 20.
– Smith has a concussion. He will not return.
– Two incompletions and a false start made it third and 15.
– Bradford hit Kendricks for a gain of 12 but the Rams had to punt. Two three and outs in a row for the Rams.
– P Johnny Hekker shanked the punt, a catastrophe for the Rams as it traveled just 13 yards.
– The Niners start from the Rams 40.
– DT Kendall Langford has a shoulder injury. His return is probable.
– An incompletion and a Davis grab for 3 made it third and 7 at the Rams’ 37. Big opportunity for the defense to help out the rookie punter here.
– The Niners threw incomplete and punted. Outstanding job by the defense.
– Pettis handled punt return duties. No update on Amendola.
– Rams start at their 4.
– Three runs gained 6 and the Rams punted again. Dangerous territory here. They’d do well to get into the locker room with the current score.
– Fisher went into the bag of tricks and called a gutsy fake punt as Hekker hit S Rodney McLeod for a gain of 21 to keep the drive going.
– The Rams didn’t get anything out of it after a first down but they do have a 14-7 halftime lead.
– Rams won the toss and elected to defer.
– The Niners start from their 20.
– On first down, DT Kendall Langford dropped RB Frank Gore for a loss of 1.
– On second, QB Alex Smith was dropped for a 2-yard sack shared by DE Robert Quinn and DT Michael Brockers.
– A third down screen gained 4 and the Rams got a quick three and out.
– The Rams started from their 34 and went to work with RB Steven Jackson right away.
– Jackson carried the first four plays, picking up 23 yards.
– After a 7-yard completion to Amendola, Bradford found a wide open rookie WR Brian Quick down the right sideline for 36-yard touchdown and a quick 7-0 lead with 9:38 to go in the first.
– The Niners start again from their 19.
– A penalty and an 8-yard gain by Gore gained a first down.
– The Niners converted their first third down as Smith hit WR Michael Crabtree for 12 on third-and-6.
– But the Rams bowed up and got a stop on third and 2 at their 44 when DT Jermelle Cudjo and DE William Hayes dropped Gore for a loss of 1.
– The Rams get it back at their 7.
– Amendola has handled the first two punt returns.
– And the offense picked up where it left off with more outstanding run blocking paving the way.
– Jackson rushed twice for 12 yards then Bradford hit TE Lance Kendricks for 17 yards to the 36.
– After a penalty on the Rams moved back 5, rookie RB Daryl Richardson ripped off a 32-yard gain to the right side.
– Combined with a facemask penalty, that gave the Rams first down at the Niners’ 22.
– Two plays later, Bradford hit Amendola for 13 yards to the Niners’ 7.
– On the next play, Jackson had terrific blocking on the right side and punched it in from 7 yards out.
– Just like that, the Rams lead 14-0 with 1:47 to go in the quarter.
– San Francisco starts again at its 20.
– Smith scrambled for 4 yards on first down and then hit TE Vernon Davis for a gain of 8.
– Another sack for Brockers pushed San Francisco back 7 and Gore gained 2 on second down to make it third and 15.
– There, Smith hit Crabtree for 14 and set up a huge fourth and short at the Rams 47.
– Smith sneaked it for 1 yard and a first down. Barely.
– He followed with a strike to Crabtree for 19 to the Rams’ 28.
– At the end of the first, the Rams lead 14-0.
– Greetings from Candlestick Park where the Rams and the Niners are preparing for this afternoon’s collision. If form holds with these NFC West Division games, this one should be a slobberknocker with both teams slugging it out in the trenches and on the ground.
– We can start the day with positive news for the Rams as they will indeed get both WR Danny Amendola and T Rodger Saffold back in the mix today as they come back from shoulder and knee injuries, respectively. Two key cogs who could make a big difference for the Rams.
– Remains to be seen whether Amendola will resume his punt return duties. It seems unlikely right away but we’ll see when game time arrives.
– Here’s the Rams’ full inactive list: DE Eugene Sims, S Darian Stewart, CB Janoris Jenkins, WR Chris Givens, OL Chris Williams and QB Austin Davis.
– DT Kellen Heard has been released.
– Givens and Jenkins are inactive for violation of undisclosed team rules.
– With that duo out, there’s some opportunity there for young Rams such as Trumaine Johnson and Brian Quick to emerge. Johnson figures into the mix as the nickel corner and Quick could get some more opportunities in the passing game. That also means more work for the likes of Steve Smith and Austin Pettis.
– The Rams are wearing the all whites today.
– For San Francisco, the inactives are QB Scott Tolzien, WR A.J. Jenkins, RB LaMichael James, S Trenton Robinson, RB Brandon Jacobs, G Joe Looney and NT Ian Williams.
– Stay tuned for updates throughout the game.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 7 Comments »