- The Rams just finished up their Wednesday practice as they prepare for Sunday’s game against the New York Jets at the Edward Jones Dome.
– The practice was a positive for the Rams in a number of ways but none more so than the fact that for the first time in a long time, the entire roster actually participated in the practice in some capacity.
– That’s right, all 52 players on the active roster (no move for the spot vacated by released DT Kellen Heard has been made yet), participated in at least a little bit of Wednesday’s workout.
– The injury report for the Rams:
Limited Participation: WR Austin Pettis (toe), DE Eugene Sims (knee) and S Darian Stewart (knee).
– Keep in mind, C Scott Wells (foot) is still technically not on the active roster. Fisher said he “did more” on Wednesday and his status will be revisited at the end of the week. But that’s why he’s not listed on the injury report.
– Also back on the field were WR Chris Givens and CB Janoris Jenkins. Following their one-game suspension, the duo returned to practice and coach Jeff Fisher declared that both would play this weekend.
– Givens and Jenkins addressed and apologized to the team and now have to work their way back. Fisher did not say if either will start this weekend against the Jets, only that they’ll play.
– Coming off the marathon game in San Francisco, Fisher wanted to give his team a little additional rest so for much of the practice, the team was not in pads or helmets and working at a pace slightly faster than a walk through.
“We are only permitted to have so many practices in shoulder pads,” Fisher said. “The design for backing down a little bit was just the fact that we played an extra quarter.”
– Likewise, Fisher will give his team the chance to sleep in a bit on Thursday as he moved the practice back to later in the afternoon. The goal, of course, is to help his players recover and be as close to full strength as possible on Sunday.
– St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny was in the house on Wednesday, attending practice and then spending some time in the locker room with the team after practice and at lunch.
– Because of the presence of so many former Jets as well as OC Brian Schottenheimer, there are actually members of the New York media already in town. On Wednesday they caught up with the likes of T Wayne Hunter and QB Kellen Clemens. Schottenheimer is scheduled to meet with the media on Thursday.
– That’s all for today. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »