– At the end of Wednesday’s practice, the Rams stopped their huddle to make a special presentation. Before heading to the locker room, coach Jeff Fisher gathered his players and coaches around and presented a check for almost $43,000 to the Sterling Thomas Fund.
– For those unfamiliar, Sterling Thomas is a cornerback for the Lindenwood University football team. Lindenwood is just around the corner from the ContinuityX training center and has hosted Rams preseason scrimmages in recent years.
– Thomas suffered a severe spinal injury in a game on Oct. 27 that left him unable to walk and his family with a boat load of medical bills.
– When the injury happened, the Rams happened to be overseas in London so they didn’t know about it right away but when they got back, they found out. Fisher and his team discussed the matter and decided it was imperative to do something to help.
“We started talking and understanding the difficult road that Sterling has ahead of him from a rehab standpoint,” Fisher said. “And the burden that would be placed on the family. In a team meeting about a week ago, we decided that we would collect some money.”
– In the span of just a few days, the Rams players chipped in $38,000 to help Thomas and his family. Team owner/chairman Stan Kroenke matched the highest individual player contributin to bring the total to nearly $43,000 in just three days.
– Thomas faces a long road to recovery with an extensive rehabilitation process.
“They are our neighbors and we wanted to help out,” Fisher said. “He battled on the field all year and then to have that happen in the last game is a very difficult set of circumstances.”
– If you’d like to help and make a donation to the Sterling Thomas Fund, you can call 636-949-4427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »