- Many were surprised to learn Tuesday that Rams CB Janoris Jenkins wasn’t a nominee for the Pepsi Rookie of the Week after his two interception, two touchdown performance against the Cardinals.
- The reason why became clear on Wednesday morning when the league announced that Jenkins had earned NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.
- Jenkins becomes the third Ram to win a player of the week award this season. Coincidentally, he joins two other rookies to claim the honor. Rookie punter Johnny Hekker and rookie K Greg Zuerlein earlier claimed the special teams version of the award.
- Jenkins, of course, has been riding the rollercoaster that goes with his position and his rookie status with plenty of ups and downs this season but he ensured that Arizona rookie QB Ryan Lindley had his share of downs against the Cardinals. In the first half, Jenkins jumped a flat route pass and returned it 36 yards for a touchdown to tie it at 7. In the thid quarter, he noticed a pass coming up short, picked it off and returned it 39 yards for a touchdown.
- Jenkins is the first Ram to win Defensive Player of the Week since DE Chris Long did it in week 6, 2010 against San Diego.
- More to come on this and today’s activities later. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »