– Rams coach Jeff Fisher and Vikings coach Leslie Frazier will face off for the first time as coaches in the NFL on Sunday little more than 30 years after they were teammates with the Chicago Bears.
“Yes, we were rookies together in ’81,” Fisher said. “That was obviously a long time ago. He was a great teammate. He was an undrafted free agent and made the club. We made the team together. We were there together for five years.”
– Both men have come a long way since then, working their way through the ranks of the NFL coaching treee before getting to the point where they are now. Of course, for Frazier, it took much longer than Fisher.
– Fisher is in the midst of his 17th year as a head coach in the NFL and his first with the Rams. Frazier, meanwhile, is in his second full season as the head coach in Minnesota after taking over for Brad Childress with six games to go in the 2010 season.
– While Fisher and Frazier took different paths to the top of their current profession, Fisher said he could tell even back when they played together that Frazier had the characteristics of a future head coach in the NFL.
“As a player, yes, absolutely,” Fisher said. “He’s very smart, well-spoken, communicates well, understands big picture. He’s very patient. I’m just really happy that he got an opportunity there and then obviously happy for his success so far this year.”
– The Rams wrapped up their week of preparation Friday afternoon with a normal Friday practice.
– The first coach in St. Louis Rams history made a cameo appearance at Friday’s practice. Rich “Big Daddy” Brooks is in town working on a business venture and stopped by to watch the workout for a bit.
– On the injury front, the Rams will have some interesting things to watch leading into Sunday’s game against the Vikings. Here’s how the list looks:
Questionable: DT Jermelle Cudjo (foot)
Probable: WR Danny Amendola (foot), CB Cortland Finnegan (ankle), LB James Laurinaitis (back), RB Steven Jackson (foot), CB Janoris Jenkins (illness), LB Mario Haggan (elbow), C Scott Wells (knee), TE Mike McNeill (thigh) and S Craig Dahl (head).
– Amendola and Finnegan were full participation Friday and expecting to play Sunday against the Vikings. Laurinaitis was limited but he too will be ready to go, as expected.
– Jenkins missed practice with the illness but should be fine.
– Cudjo is the new addition to the list and his status will be more of a game time decision.
– Of note for the Vikings, CB Antoine Winfield is listed as questionable. RB Adrian Peterson is probable as is DE Jared Allen and T Phil Loadholt among others.
– Despite asking for permission to wear the throwback uniforms this weekend against the Vikings, the Rams did not receive it and will not be wearing the blue and yellow for the second time in as many home games.
– Thoughts and prayers with the families and victims of the awful news out of Connecticut. Thoughts and prayers also with the rest of the community. Just devastating.
– That’s all for today. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | No Comments »