- Rams coach Jeff Fisher appreciates fine art and movies as much as anyone and provided plenty of evidence to prove it on Wednesday afternoon.
- Asked after the day’s practice about what he can tell about a player in how he responds and performs to playing games when the playoffs are no longer an option, Fisher gave an answer about trying to improve and get better before pausing and pointing out that this team does have a shot, even if it’s the longest of shots but still a mathematical shot. We’ll let the head coach take it from here…
“There is a slim chance,” Fisher said. “And you’d rather have a slim chance over no chance at all….
“Remember ‘Dumb and Dumber’ when he says 1 in 100, she says no, not even 1 in 1 million. So we have got at least a 1 in a million chance. There’s a chance.”
- Fisher, of course, was making reference to an exchange between Lloyd Christmas (played by Jim Carrey) and Mary Swanson (as played by Lauren Holly) in which Christmas confesses his feelings for Swanson and is rebuffed with a reply that says there is a one in a million chance they end up together.
- In this case, the reference is not only funny but pretty much right on point. On odd makers websites, the chances of the Rams making the playoffs are listed as a fraction of 1 percent.
- But, as Fisher points out, there is still some life. For the Rams to somehow pull off the impossible, they need a lot of help. There are a number of permutations if you include ties but the easiest way to put it is the following:
1. The Rams win their final two games on the road at Tampa and Seattle. That would make the Rams 8-7-1.
2. Minnesota loses its final two games. That would make the Vikings 8-8.
3. Chicago loses its final two games. The Bears would be 8-8.
4. New York Giants lose their final two games. The Giants would be 8-8.
5. Washington OR Dallas loses its final two games. (The teams meet in Week 17 so one is guaranteed a loss there. Should one lose this week, the Rams would need that team to lose the finale. One of these teams can win the NFC East Division under the above scenario. The other needs to finish 8-8.
- So yes, it’s about a one in a million chance but that one in a million does exist.
- As for practice, the Rams had a number of players on the injury report Wednesday as a little sickness bug makes its way through the team. Here’s the breakdown:
Did Not Participate: LB James Laurinaitis (back), RB Steven Jackson (illness), CB Cortland Finnegan (thigh), C Scott Wells (knee), CB Bradley Fletcher (illness) and DE Robert Quinn (illness).
Limited Participation: None
Full Participation: None
- For Tampa Bay, it looked like this:
Did Not Participate: None
Limited Participation: DE Aaron Morgan (shoulder), TE Luke Stocker (head/nose).
Full Participation: DE Michael Bennett (shoulder), DE Da’Quan Bowers (hamstring), LB Lavonte David (knee), CB LeQuan Lewis (ankle), WR Mike Williams (wrist).
- All for today. Thanks for the read.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 1 Comment »