- Pro Football Weekly and the Pro Football Writers of America announced their All Rookie team on Wednesday evening and two of the Rams’ top three choices in the 2012 NFL Draft were honored for their work in their debut seasons.
– Defensive tackle Michael Brockers and cornerback Janoris Jenkins were among the 11 players named to the Defensive All Rookie team. Jenkins and Brockers are the first two representatives for the Rams on the All Rookie team since 2003 when linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa made the cut.
– Brockers was the team’s first round pick, No. 14 overall in last April’s draft. He was plugged right into the starting lineup but suffered a high ankle sprain in the team’s preseason finale against Baltimore. That injury cost him three games and limited him some for most of the season.
– Despite the early setback, Brockers put together a strong debut season in which he only scratched the surface of his potential. He finished with 63 tackles, four sacks, a forced fumble and 17 quarterback hits and pressures according to the coaches’ review of the game tape.
– Jenkins was the team’s second pick of the second round, No. 39 overall. Much like Brockers, Jenkins was plugged into the starting lineup right away and went on to post one of the most dynamic seasons by a rookie defensive back in the history of the league.
– Although Jenkins had some ups and downs during the year, he still finished with 83 tackles, four interceptions, a fumble recovery and 15 passes defended. He returned three of those interceptions for touchdowns and also scored on his fumble recovery. His three pick-6’s led the NFL in that category and his four touchdowns also led the league in defensive scores. His interception for touchdown total tied with Ronnie Lott and Lem Barney for most by a rookie in NFL history.
– Jenkins and Brockers received similar honors last week from ESPN’s Mel Kiper.
– Here’s the rest of the PFWA All Rookie team:
QB: Robert Griffin III, Washington
RB: Alfred Morris, Washington and Doug Martin, Tampa Bay
WR: T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis and Justin Blackmon, Jacksonville
TE: Dwayne Allen, Indianapolis
OT: Matt Kalil, Minnesota and Mitchell Schwartz, Cleveland
G: Kevin Zeitler, Cincinnati and Amini Silatolu, Carolina
C: No player eligible
DE: Bruce Irvin, Seattle and Chandler Jones, New England
DT: Brockers and Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia
LB: Bobby Wagner, Seattle and Luke Kuechly, Carolina and Lavonte David, Tampa Bay
CB: Jenkins and Casey Hayward, Green Bay
S: Harrison Smith, Minnesota and Mark Barron, Tampa Bay
K: Blair Walsh, Minnesota
P: Bryan Anger, Jacksonville
KR: David Wilson, New York Giants
Ace: Johnson Bandemosi, Cleveland
– The full slate of Associated Presss NFL awards is scheduled to be revealed for the first time in a primetime special on the night before the Super Bowl, Feb. 2.
– Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »