– Despite reports over the weekend that the Rams had hired Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator, the team confirmed Tuesday morning that those reports were pre-mature. In fact, the Rams went so far as to say that despite long conversations with Ryan concerning defensive philosophy, the sides couldn’t find a common ground and the team is actually moving on to interview other candidates.
– From COO/Executive VP of Football Operations Kevin Demoff:
“After extensive conversations regarding defensive philosophy, the Rams and Rob Ryan agreed he was not the right fit for the club’s Defensive Coordinator position. The Rams will continue the interview process with the club’s other candidates.”
– In other words, Rob Ryan will not be the hire. No specifics are available yet on what exactly the disagreement on philosophy was though one would imagine Ryan’s general preference for the 3-4 would have factored in at some capacity. The Rams run a 4-3 defense and the lack of scheme fit would be an obvious reason.
– No word on who some of the other candidates under consideration are but Coach Jeff Fisher has traditionally taken his time and played such hires close to the vest.
– The team did announce the hire of Frank Bush as linebackers coach on Tuesday.
– More on this as it comes. Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 2 Comments »