- Greetings once again from the ContinuityX Training Center. We are preparing for the third and final day to get underway here shortly. Rounds four through seven take place today with plenty of good players still available.
– Leading off today will be Jacksonville.
– Kicking this thing off with a trade. Philadelphia leading off now. Have to think this is for a QB.
– The Eagles do indeed go QB. They end the long nightmare for USC QB Matt Barkley.
– Kansas City is now on the clock. The Chiefs actually seemed like a good fit for Barkley. But they can go any number of ways.
– Chiefs make their pick. It’s Alabama LB Nico Johnson. Tough, smart player. Was impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. Makes a lot of sense for Kansas City.
– Oakland up next.
– Tampa Bay traded up as well. They go with DT Akeem Spence from Illinois.
– Jacksonville up next.
– The Jaguars get a returner with some dynamic ability in Ace Sanders. Nice pick for them. Rams had interest there but obviously that interest waned after added Tavon Austin.
– Patriots go with TCU WR Josh Boyce.
– Arizona goes with DE Alex Okafor. Many thought he’d be a possible second rounder so maybe a good value there.
– Miami up next.
– Dolphins go with LB Jelani Jenkins of Florida.
– Buffalo goes with Nevada S Duke Williams.
– Brian Schwenke to Tennessee is a nice pick. Really solid Senior Bowl. Tennessee really loading up to run the ball again with Chris Johnson. Sign Levitre and draft Warmack and Schwenke, solid.
– Carolina drafted a big guard from Valdosta State. I can’t spell his name.
– Green Bay grabs David Bakhtiari.
– Interesting move here as the Giants move up for Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib. Lots of New York love going on with the Giants and the Cuse.
– Pittsburgh is up. Rams are two picks away.
– The Steelers make a very Steelers pick and grab Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas. Athletic, physical player who paid a pre-draft visit to St. Louis.
– Oakland is on the clock.
– The Raiders just took Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson.
– Rams are on the clock.
– The Rams find an intelligent, instinctual replacement for Robert Turner with Alabama’s Barrett Jones. Jones played all over the line for the Crimson Tide and is a nice addition at this point in the draft. He’s not the most athletic or the strongest anchor around but he finds ways to get it done. Expect him to step in as an interior swing man along the lines of the role Turner filled last year.
– Tavon Austin just stopped by the office. #HumbleBrag Some more picks went off the board.
– Thoughts on Jones?
– Bears go with Rutgers LB Khaseem Greene. Nice value for them there and a good scheme fit in Chicago.
– Just got off conference call with Barrett Jones. Impressive young man with a degree and a masters in accounting. He says he’s most comfortable at center. Will have plenty more on him later on.
– A lot of interesting picks here recently. Phillip Thomas off the board and some of the top remaining DEs available.
– Packers have doubled down at RB by grabbing UCLA’s Johnathan Franklin. Nice to pair with Eddie Lacy for them. Given Green Bay’s 10 picks today, they can do just about whatever we want.
– And San Francisco makes the inevitable pick we all expected them to make: Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina. Risk involved sure but very talented player. If he can stay healthy, it’s a potentially great long term selection.
– Detroit with a nice value in South Carolina DE Devin Taylor.
– Kansas City makes a nice pick with Sanders Commings from Georgia. Liked his versatility.
– Jacksonville takes Michigan’s Denard Robinson. Interesting choice. Tough kid.
– Seattle moves up to add to its depth at DT with Alabama’s Jesse Williams. Williams slipped because of knee issues. Good get for them.
– Seahawks again, go with CB Tharold Simon of LSU.
– Rams almost back on the clock. Still some options at a variety of positions. BPA most likely.
– The Rams get some depth at cornerback with Miami’s Brandon McGee. Needed depth at that position with few bodies on the roster.
– Rams have two picks in the sixth to cap their day coming later. Going on a hiatus until later to do conference call with him.
– Keep an eye out for some activity here shortly.
– The Rams have put a bow on their draft class by making a move back into the fifth round. They cut a deal with Houston to get back and get their running back.
– The target? Vanderbilt RB Zac Stacy.
– Stacy is 5’9, 210 pounds with a physical style that allowed him to rush for 1,1141 yards and 10 touchdowns last year for the Commodores.
– Much more to come in a little bit on Stacy but barring something shocking, it appears the Rams have completed their 2013 draft class. Waiting on final details of the trade.
– The current haul: WR Tavon Austin, LB Alec Ogletree, S T.J. McDonald, WR Stedman Bailey, OL Barrett Jones, CB Brandon McGee and RB Zac Stacy.
– That is also the final haul as the Rams gave up both sixth round picks in exchange for Houston’s fifth.
– It’s unlikely they’d trade a pick next year to get back into this draft so it seems likely the Rams are done drafting for this year. They can begin turning attention to the race that is the undrafted free agent derby right after the draft is over.
– Time to make the donuts. Thanks for reading all week.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 21 Comments »