- With the Rams rookie class set to report to St. Louis on Thursday for this weekend’s rookie minicamp, they’ll be issued their jerseys soon after nd as such, we are giving you a quick sneak peek at what numbers this year’s drafted rookies will wear this weekend and in the future.
– We already knew that first rounders Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree would wear No. 11 and 52, respectively but now we have a complete list for you.
– Without further ado, here’s the list followed by a couple of quick notes.
WR Tavon Austin – No. 11
LB Alec Ogletree – No. 52
S T.J. McDonald – No. 25
WR Stedman Bailey – No. 12
OL Barrett Jones – No. 67
CB Brandon McGee – No. 32
RB Zac Stacy – No. 30
– Out of that group, none of the rookies were able to retain and wear the number he wore in his final collegiate season. Some of that was a function of NFL rules (such as linebackers not being allowed to wear a single-digit number), some was a function of their previous number already being taken (McGee’s college 21 is taken by Janoris Jenkins) and some are completely off limits (Jones’ college 75 is retired in honor of Deacon Jones).
– The Rams’ receiver corps now actually has more players wearing a number in the 11-19 range than in the 80s with Austin (11), Bailey (12), Chris Givens (13), Nick Johnson (14) and Austin Pettis (18). Of returning wideouts, only Brian Quick (83) and practice squadder Raymond Radway (84) have a number in the 80s.
– McGee was drafted to replace Bradley Fletcher, who departed for Philadelphia in free agency. Coincidentally, he also takes over Fletcher’s No. 32 in the process. Last year, Austin’s No. 11 was worn by Brandon Gibson, Bailey’s No. 12 by Steve Smith and Ogletree’s No. 52 by Justin Cole. The others went unused during the 2012 season.
– It appears that RB Steven Jackson’s No. 39 will be held aside for the time being.
– Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 7 Comments »