– The Rams finished their ninth Organized Team Activity of the offseason on Thursday and now have just one remaining Friday before calling it an offseason program.
– But the biggest news probably came off the field as the team announced it signed each of its seven rookies.
WR Tavon Austin signs his rookie contract.
– As for the activity on the field, the Rams remain a bit short handed at defensive back with a number of secondary contributors sitting out Thursday. That list includes CBs Cortland Finnegan, Trumaine Johnson and Brandon McGee as well as safeties Darian Stewart and Matt Daniels.
– Speaking of safeties, I had a chance to catch up with McDonald, McLeod and Daniels today and will have more on them later but there were some interesting thoughts from each on how things could shake out at the position. They are all aware of the competition for jobs and they all have designs on trying to have a big enough camp to win those jobs.
– On the field, it was yet another strong day for WR Austin Pettis. Pettis continues to catch everything and showed some wiggle on an option route early in practice.
– Catch of the day goes to WR Chris Givens, who made an acrobatic grab on a deep ball in tight coverage from CB Robert Steeples. After the catch, a short shoving match took place but coach Jeff Fisher didn’t mind and noted after practice that Steeples has made an impression in the OTAs.
“He’s done a good job,” Fisher said. “His background there was he played a lot of nickel and then transferred because he wanted to start. We worked him out very early and liked what we saw. He’s got ability and again, as it is the case with a lot of those guys, his opportunities are going to be heavily dependent on his special teams production in the preseason.”
– The Rams made a roster move Wednesday, parting ways with WR Scott Pillar and signing G Ryan Lee. Pillar signed a deal after coming to the rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. Lee is listed at 6’3, 308 pounds and played his college ball at Furman.
– Some of you may have noticed the Twitter spat that broke out yesterday into an exchange between former Ram/current Niner S Craig Dahl and CB Cortland Finnegan. DE Chris Long jumped into the mix as well and said today that it wasn’t a big deal. Fisher offered these comments on the matter:
“You know, I heard a little bit about it,” Fisher said. “First off, any time a player that’s involved in the system changes addresses, there’s always going to be some sort of debriefing. That always happens, so that’s not unusual. I heard the guys were kind of joking back and forth, but that’s how they are.”
– Stay tuned later for a feature story on guards Chris Williams and Shelley Smith, both of whom figure to compete for a vacant left guard job.
– Thanks for reading.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 3 Comments »