– The 36 rookies and first-year players who attended the unofficial start of training camp are about to get some company. Early Wednesday evening, the youngsters will be joined by their veteran teammates on the team’s official reporting day.
– Wednesday night, the whole team will go through some introductory meetings, taking care of all the logistics and details to ensure things run smoothly when practice begins. Thursday afternoon at 3:30, the real deal kicks off with the first official practice of training camp. That practice will be open to the public. The full open to fans practice schedule is below.
– This will be the fifth consecutive year the Rams have trained here at Rams Park and the second time in as many years under coach Jeff Fisher. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon so long as Fisher is in charge.
– Dating to his time in Tennessee, Fisher became an early believer in training on site as a matter of circumstance. As his teams continued to do that, he embraced it further and now it is his preferred method for camp.
– Factoring in the training camp rules in place that have essentially eliminated two-a-days and Fisher’s preference to maximize his players’ rest time, the home set up works. Fisher is even making for some extra allowances for the team’s established veterans.
“We were one of the first teams to do it because we had no other option and then falling into the situation it worked for us,” Fisher said. “I think it works. We are going to permit this year, those with four years experienced to stay home. That’s a big deal unless you were a wife hoping to get rid of your husband. It just works out. It’s business like.”
– For fans wanting to attend this year’s camp, here again is the list of training camp open practices as well as additional information that you may need. The FanFest scrimmage at the Edward Jones Dome again highlights the list.
The first public practice will be held at 3:30 p.m. CT on Thursday, July 25. The open scrimmage at the Edward Jones Dome begins at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, August 3. Autograph sessions with select players will follow each practice and the open scrimmage.
Posted in From the Sidelines | 3 Comments »